Did your child speak in sentences by 18 months?

Wondering how common this is. She is my first to speak so early. She says things like "can I have a piece?" "I want some milk", "I want to pee". She isn't even potty trained but I am thinking she must be ready. Anyway, is it common?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest did, at 10 mos. he would point and say "what's that" and by 18 mos. he was saying much longer sentences..
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 3:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My older kids, yes. My younger kids, no.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine who's daughter is 18 months can talk in sentences... similar to what your daughter does. She also has a huge vocab... probably around 100 words I would bet where my son has about 50.
    My son who is also 18 month is only just starting to do short sentences but not making them on his own... he will say common phrases like "where did it go?" "what are you doing?" but the most he has done on his own is "more milk" or "bye bye daddy"
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My DD was saying a few common phrases like ' I want more' or 'I want some too' but she did not start forming her own sentences until closer to two. she is now 2 years and one month and she is speaking in mostly sentences with a few sentence fragments and carrying on simple conversations of 4-5 exchanges. Like: DD: Where's Bubu? DH:He went to school. DD: He's at school? DH: yes DD: On the bus? DH: yes (At that point she had lost interest and was gone! lol) My friends son is 4 months older and still only combining 2-3 words which is still in the range of normal. Every kid is different I guess.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Mine started speaking in complete sentences at eighteen months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2010