Elimination DIET HELP!

Hi. My doctor wants me to do an elimination diet to see if I have food allergies. Trouble is, I started eating rice, carrots, banannas, boiled chicken with salt. This is ALL I have eaten. (Per doctors orders.) I am REALLY SICK. So what do I do now? Is it normal for you to get sick on the first few days? Do I continue it or stop? I CANNOT CALL MY DOCTOR, HE IS WITH DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS AND IS ON HIS WAY TO HAITI, so please don't tell me to do that. :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Health

• Obviously something you're eating is still a problem. I don't know what to tell you to try though, it could be any of those 4 things!
    Anonymous

• If the diet is making you sick, stop doing it tell he/she comes back. Then explain to the doctor what is up

Answer by louise2 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• This is a very restrictive diet and should only be done if your allergist is around. I think you should call your primary health care provider. If you can't get in to see your doctor then go to a good urgent care center.

Stopping bananas right away would be a good idea since it is a food that is a known allergen People with latex allergies can have trouble with bananas. I'm surprised banana is one of the foods your doctor told you to eat. Banana makes my mouth swell sometimes and my allergist is afraid someday I am going to develop a latex allergy. It would be a huge problem for me because I have to have IV meds every 3 weeks that come in bottles with latex stoppers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• your dr. should have left someone to call in his absence. i have heard it is common to get ill from your body releasing toxins when you do a cleanse, or a fast. personally, i would try to ride it out...if you are really worried, call the dr. and ask for a referral.
    good luck! i am so impressed that your dr. looked at your diet instead of drugs!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• What do you mean by sick? If you are nauseous, then your body may just be detoxing. If your doctor is not also a nutritionist or dietitian, you need to get a referral to one, to help you with the elimination diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010