any moms have children with Spinal Bifida?

Just went for my 20week ultra sound today and found out our baby has spinal bifida. The baby is only messuring 17 weeks, and the brain is not developing right. I am so worried, ihave STRONG belifes on abortion, and the dr told us that might be our only out. We see a specialist wednesday to find out more. there is a sak at the base of the spinal cord and the base of the brain is not closing. I guess i need words of encoragement! Anyone have to terminate a pregnancy due to this? or anyone have a baby, what is a day like for you? I have a 19month old already. Thanks so much!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 4:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am not a fan of abortion. I would listen carefully to my doctors and if I thought the baby would not survive or would survive in pain only to die a year later, then and only then would I consider abortion. Explore your options, listen to your doctors. They are not in the business of sending patients to abortion clinics just for kicks. Good luck. My friend had a son with spina bifida and he just walks with braces, nothing more. I agree there are variing degrees of this condition.
    Anonymous

• There are different degrees of spina bifida. The worst case is the child won't live past a year because of the swelling on the brain. A friend of mine had a child with spina bifida. Every two weeks she would take him to have the fluid drained from his brain. He had a feeding tube and needed a lot of medical attention. He made it to see his first birthday and then passed away. There are less severe cases. Some children with spina bifida will never be able to walk, some can walk using crutches. Because spina bifida affects the brain, even mild forms of spina bifida cause brain damage and many children are special needs. There is also a chance that your child could have spina bifida and live a completely normal life. I would wait and talk to the specialist.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Growing up there was a family in our church who was encouraged to abort their pregnancy because the baby had Spinal Bifida. They refused. That little girl will be 21 in April. She can walk with assistance, but uses a wheelchair most of the time. She also drives on her own too. She is the nursery director at our church and attends college.

I say that to say, doctors are not always right, however it is ultimately you and your husband's decision. Best of luck on deciding what to do.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• So, I know this post is old, but hopefully you will get this before it is too late....I went on valentines day 2006 for my 20 week ultrasound and was told my baby had spina bifida...so many people encouraged me to abort, including the doctor. I REFUSED. I was told my son had a clubbed foot and his brain was not developing properly as well...when I went back a month later, she didn't see the clubbed foot any longer and said his brain appeared fine...I ended up having my son 2 months early...and he was in the hospital for 8 weeks...he did need a shunt for minor hydrocephalus, and came home. He is now almost 4 years old, he can run, jump, do everything a normal kid can do. The only thing he has problems with is his bowel/bladder control...but in my opinion, that is such a small thing compared to what I was told...I was told he would be paralyzed, and many children are...but my son was lucky...I wish you the same luck!
    JessicaNelson21

Answer by JessicaNelson21 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010