When do you start spring cleaning? And what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Right after Christmas, as a result of putting away all the decorations, sweeping up the needles and bringing out the regular stuff for the mantle.

I tend to wash windows, because the light's streaming in making them look bad (it's spring here, really --the snowdrops are up, I've got laundry on the line and it's 41 degrees overnight these days)... and things like spot-cleaning the walls because the brighter light makes all that visible again. I tend to be tired of the winter wardrobe, and start pulling out the brighter colours of spring, so I go through the closets and sort clothes, too.

It's the right time of the year to re-pot plants, so if any need that they get it now. And it's the most likely time I'll rearrange the furniture. Otherwise, I do what needs to be done as it needs to be done through the year -- I don't have a schedule.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We start about a month before Pesach (Passover) begins (where do you think the idea of "Spring" cleaning came from anyway? lol). Everything gets cleaned room by room - walls, windows, cabinets, drawers, under furniture, the furniture itself, carpets, linens, etc. When I say everything, I mean everything! There is more to do in preparation for Pesach, but for just general "getting it clean", this is when we do it & what we clean.

General Springtime chores will be done after Pesach and that's when we'll get the porch scrubbed (although I don't know why b/c all the Spring mud just gets it dirty again...sigh), wash the outside windows, put new mulch in the flowerbeds and scrub the garbage cans out. In the backyard, the garden fence will be repaired, the garden tilled & planting started, and any outdoor mending tended to (clean gutteres, take down snow guards, etc.).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have started a little already. I have gone through the kids toys and gotten rid of stuff since Christmas was just here. ANd the same goes for their clothes. Today I am going to tackle the cupborads and clean them out and sort through the stuff. I am also going to try and get the windows cleaned on the inside. It will be months before we can get outside yet, so that stuff will wait until almost April.
    mmoleader

Answer by mmoleader at 10:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• We start spring cleaning at the end of February, since it starts to get warm about that time. I wash the walls, scrub the floor boards and wash the fans around the house. We steam clean the carpets and all of the furniture gets a good coat of polish. The kids toys get sorted through and things get donated to good will. At that time any painting gets done and the outside of the house gets pressure washed, the flower beds get prepared and we usually pick out two or three big projects for the house. This year we are tiling the kitchen and planting the back yard
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010