How much tv do you let your child watch?

Sometimes I feel like I let my dd watch tv too much usually it's about a 1/2 hr in the morning and anthor 1/2 hr in the afternoon or evening. Usually I'm using one of these times to do her hair which takes a long time and the only way I can get her to sit still long enough. Do you think an hour a day is to much? If so why? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son doesn't watch any TV but he's only 14 months. when he gets older I'll let him watch a show or two, about an hour a day. but right now he doesn't watch any. i don't see anything wrong with her watching an hour
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son watches bits and pieces of Sesame Street in the morning while I'm getting his siblings ready for school. I don't see any problems with it - he's not sitting there zoned out in front of it, sometimes he walks away while it's on, but some days it will entertain him when nothing else will while I'm fixing my daughter's hair, making sure my son wears his jacket to the bus stop, etc.

Answer by missanc at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No, I think that's fine. My dd watches an hour to hour and a half everyday. The cartoons they have now are so great, she learns so much from watching Dora and Diego, which are her favorites so it's hard for me to complain about it.
    vowens82

Answer by vowens82 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• probably a lot more than i should.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son is 18 months and watches very little TV. Sometimes we will snuggle and watch a cartoon on PBS or something... and we do watch TV some before nap time but he usually falls asleep withing minutes of laying down. So I would say on average he watches less than 2 hours a week.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It's on more than they actually watch...Weekdays it comes on at 5:00- bed is 7:30 and on weekends it seems to be off and on all day but no one really sits to watch it. It's more for noise. In fact I have started trying to remember to play cd's instead on the weekends when no one is actually watching it. My son does watch the Electric Company daily and DD does watch Curious George daily. So 30 min of actually being enthralled by the TV I guess.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My daughter goes through phases where she is really interested in tv and then phases where she isn't at all. I figure as long as she isn't zoned out in front of it all day and isn't watching anything detrimental (i.e. educational shows ok...no commercials), then we're doing pretty good. I'm shocked at what she'll learn from these shows. I had to learn some sign language because she picked it up after watching a few baby einstein dvds...its great because it has really encouraged her to talk. Now she is counting to 3 and pointing out letters to me when she sees them (i.e. "O", "E", "D")...she even spelled DOG the other day. (She's 20 mo. old). Of course, I also have a fussy newborn at home so we don't get out as often as I'd like to...we'd probably watch less if we did. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I wish my son would sit still long enough to watch TV! Not that I condone using it as a babysitter, but it would be nice to have something that keeps him distracted for more than 30 seconds. Anyway, I don't think an hour a day is bad at all.
    Anonymous

• My son probably only watches maybe 1.5 hours total all day. It's on in the living room while he's in his gated and baby proofed playroom and he'll stand at the gate for a few minutes at a time and watch and giggle...but then he goes back to playing. We usually put him in front of the TV after dinner/before bath while we clean up the kitchen. We are a Backyardigan family...so that's usually what's on...
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My daughter has a couple of favorite shows, she really enjoys but even still I try to keep it under 2 hrs a day in winter and 1 hr in summer. Its easy to allow the TV to become a babysitter esp. when you've got things u need to get done, so I try to organize my things she'll get into that I cant do when shes around to either her TV time or nap time only.
    MagenMae

Answer by MagenMae at 1:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010