Fake engagement rings........

I've heard so many stories about women coming in and getting upset because they find out that their rings were fake.
To me that would be a deal breaker on a engagement- not that I need a diamond that bad, but I figure any guy that would lie about that is deceptive in general.
Have any of you found out your rings were fake? If you did, what did you do about it?

LadyAronna

Asked by LadyAronna at 5:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You would really ditch your love if your ring was a fake? Sorry, but that is shallow.
    Anonymous

• Total dealbreaker. A diamond IS important to me and if dh had lied about my ring, I'd kick his ass. Now if he couldn't afford one and explained that to me, I'd be totally fine with it and would take a platinum band. But as it turns out, he got a diamond and my brotherinlaw is a jeweler, so easy for him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My husbannd let me pick out my ring because he was so lost,lol.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I PICKED OUT MY OWN RING TO .....THE GUY NEVER REALLY SAYS WILL YOU MARRY ME THIS RING IS WHATEVER WHATEVER CARAT .........AND THERE'S NO LAW SAYING THE RING HAS TO BE REAL ...PEOPLE JUST ASSUME THEY HAVE TO HAVE THE BEST!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The lying would piss me off but if he explained why he lied (he felt like he was less of a man for not being able to provide, or whatever,) then I might forgive and forget.
    Anonymous

• IF THE GUY TELLS YOU THE RING IS REAL AND ITS NOT THEN ID BE MAD CUZ HE LIED!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't care if my hub gave me a fake one - as long as he was honest.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Jeanclaudia- I'm with you. I love jewelry, but the diamond isn't the point at all! it's the idea of lying. If he told me, then that would be entirely one thing. From what I hear it's quite common to put a CZ in a ring then replace it later on a anniversary.
    and justlivinmyson- my husband and I got my ring together too- he didn't know what to get either :)

and to anonymous 504 pm- if you think that it's shallow to drop a man over a lie like that, then I'm sorry, but you are a doormat! I have a feeling you didn't read the entire post. It's about LYING not diamonds!!!!
    get a clue-
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I picked mine out. My husband wanted me to have something that I would want and he's no good with things like jewelry. I picked out a white gold band with three birthstones in it. One for my birth month, one for his, and one for the month we began dating. And in a fun coincidence, our daughter was born in the same month we got together(a couple years after). So, it has an even more special meaning to me now.

Diamonds aren't important to me. I see no point in spending thousands of dollars on a ring. There's always a chance of losing it (drains, stolen). I'd rather have something that has meaning (like the birthstones thing) than have diamonds just because.

JMO. I dont knock others for wanting diamonds. For some, those have meaning, so if it works for them, good. (just didnt want to sound like others were being greedy or anything. i dont think that)
    Anonymous

• I guess I should add, if my hubby had gotten me a ring and claimed it to be real and then turned out to be fake, the fake part wouldn't bother me, but the lying definitely would. If it was for a reason like he thought i would think less of him, i would porbably forgive him, but then question our relationship because he obviously didn't know me very well. If he saw nothing wrong with the lying and couldn't understand why I was upset, it would defninitely be over.

(BTW, I'm Anon 5:12.)
    Anonymous