Is it really necessary to get fillings in baby teeth?

My daughter age 5 and son age 4 went to the dentist this morning. My son's teeth are perfect, no cavities. My daughter, on the other hand, needs 5 fillings. They both have the same diet etc... so I don't get it. I also don't get the need to fill baby teeth. Aren't they going to fall out within a couple of years anyway? We just can't afford $500 for all those fillings right now. It would cost $1000 if we didn't have insurance. Are we wrong to wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Cavities do hurt the bigger they get. If they continue to eat away at her teeth, you'll have a much bigger bill. And it is necessary to keep baby teeth in and healthy until the permanent teeth come in. Not only all that, it looks really bad to medical professionals when you don't see to your children's health matters. Ask the office manager if there is a payment plan you can do.
    Anonymous

• Um, yes. She could get a major infection. Worst case scenario it could cause an infection so serious that it cases heart problems.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'm all for doing the fillings. Its my husband who doesn't want to pay for it right now. I did suggest a payment plan and he just got upset. I'm a stay at home mom, he is the breadwinner. I do sell organic vegetable plants in the spring so I could pay for it in a couple of months. I hope she would be okay until then.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry he is against this. He might change his mind if this gets worse and he has to hear her cry. Or if he realizes he should have just done the fillings if you all have to take her to the ER in the middle of the night because one of the cavities has become infected. You might bring that up. Until he comes to his senses, I would say watch what she eats and that she brushes regularly.
    Anonymous

• you not only need to make the effort now to get her teeth taken care of immediately, you need to figure out why a 5 year old has so many cavities. Perhaps she is not brushing well and you need to address a solution with your dentist. I am almost 30 and I have one and a small one at that....and I smoke and drink coffee.
    Anonymous

• Yes, they need to be filled. The cavities can affect her gums, the growth of her permanent teeth. She can get infections........

Stay away from ANY fruit snacks, leathers, etc. those are horrible for teeth and cause cavities, even after brushing the sugars are still stuck on the teeth. Even the all fruit ones.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It is not the diet as my son has no cavities. The dentist said her teeth look well brushed. They are just close together and need to be flossed every day. She also may have different bacteria in her mouth than her brother especially since she still sucks her thumb. But, I did call the dentist between postings and we worked out a payment plan. So, even if my husband doesn't agree, I can pay for it through my vegetable plant sales.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Anyone doing a garden this year?
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010