Is dental included?

Is dental included in the health care bill? I feel like it seems to be ignored. Dental care is insanely expensive and most plans offered through work in my experience cover very little. State insurance doesn't cover it. Dental problems kill people and it seems like no one makes an issue of it. Unlike hospitals dentist CAN turn you away if you aren't insured. I honestly have heard nothing about it and just wondered.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i wonder that myself. wisconsin DOES cover dental which is a THANKGOD or i would not have many teeth left with all my dental issues.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Unless you are poor enough to fall under the expanded Medicaid program, you are not going to get dental coverage unless you buy it yourself.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• And NO ONE offers dental coverage outside of company plans. At least not her in Alabama. I called around when my husband went to a company that didn't offer benefits and was told by multiple companies that dental ins is just not cost effective to offer. AAANNNNDDDDD the middle class is screwed...again.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I know many folks forgo their dental coverage altogether and just pay out of pocket. Clearly, these are not ppl with mouth, teeth, jaw or gum issues. I thank the Lord everyday that we've always had good dental coverage, as we use the max $$$ coverage per calendar year-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Well, if there were no dentists lobbying to be included in this, or for dental insurance reform, then dental is probably being ignored, as is vision.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No, the federal health care bill does NOT include Dental, as it will not include Vision, Elective Surgeries, some Prescriptions and other things... But to be honest, I'm not really worried... I hate insurance to begin with and never use it. I will keep the plan I have now and when and if we have to buy that crappy federal plan, I'll deal with it then.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• sati769: I live in Wisconsin and the dental part of Medicaid is HORRIBLE. It takes 6-18 months to get into the 1 clinic that will accept the dental and they are not all that good. The rush you in and out. I haven't been to a dentist in YEARS because I have no dental insurance and I can't afford to pay cash. My son went to the "wonderful" clinic and they made us both feel like crap. The cleaning took all of about 3 minutes!! They didn't even ask if he flossed or knew how to floss.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My children are on medicaid & we have no hope of seeing a dentist until after december of this year....yes december...that's how far booked it is. Most dentists wont take medicaid anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• OFFERING OF STAND-ALONE DENTAL BENEFITS.—Each Exchange within a State shall allow an issuer of a plan that only provides limited scope dental benefits meeting the requirements of section 9832(c)(2)(A) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to offer the plan through the Exchange (either separately or in conjunction with a qualified health plan) if the plan provides pediatric dental benefits meeting the requirements of section 1302.
    So in other words yes they do but it is crap.

One of the most important parts of the bill would be page 906 it says what can be provided, that the secretary which has not been appointed yet will determine etc. It talks about dental Third, to use the remaining share to meaningfully provide coverage of other health care benefits which are not benefits under the original medicare fee-for-service program, such as eye examinations and dental coverage, and are not benefits described in sc2.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2010