I dunno what to do can you help?

I have two children with problems iun school. my nine year old cheated by taking a students work and erasingtheir name and replacing it with her own, and my 7 year old is repeatadly being takin from class because he is rude disrespectul and disruptive. teh school is "giving them a talking to" i dont think them or my husband is taking it very seriously. what can i do to give them a proper punishment wihtout seeming like a horrible human being.

SLVN_Jen

Asked by SLVN_Jen at 5:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What has YOUR reaction been to these incidents? IF you're expecting the school to discipline them, you're going to be in for a rough ride! It is YOUR responsibility to reprimand them for their bad behaviors.

Not only should they have to apologize to their teachers, but they should also lose certain privileges at home--no video games, no going to friends houses or having them over, going to bed early, no TV, etc. for "X" amount of days.

Whatever you do, you need to be fair and consistent, and your HUSBAND needs to SUPPORT you--whatever you decide!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I apologize that I don't have any advice as far as the punishment goes...but please don't feel like a horrible person just because you feel the need to punish your children. I remember when I was younger I thought I had the worst parents in the world when it came time for punishment, but as I grew older I realized that they did it all for a reason.
    Anonymous

• Why is it the school's job to take it seriously and control your kids? The school can really only talk to your kids or suspend them. It doesn't help them to be suspended. It's up to you to control them.

Anonymous

• Make your 9year old do the work that she turned in with the wrong students name on it. Then have them write a paper (within reason for their abilities) of why it is wrong to cheat and take someone else's work. And a formal in-person apology to the person and to the teacher should do.

For the 7 year old, allow no rewards at home (no tv, video games, etc.) until their behavior improves. I would also include writing something like, "I will not misbehave in class." 20 times, and "Misbehaving wastes everyone's time." 20 xs - and a formal apology to the teacher and one to the whole class in person.
    Anonymous

• Punishment isn't going to work. They don't respect school or think it is important. If mom and dad take school work seriously, then they will be serious students.

Do they have rewards for good grades? Do they have a set homework hour and a set place in the house that is just for undisturbed homework and study? Do you hang up their graded homework assignments for everyone to praise them? Are they falling behind and not understanding the assignments? Do they read aloud to you every day?

Talk with the teachers and know what is going on with their learning. Kids who aren't learning misbehave.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• to econdani: we do all these things homerwork and school is number one prioritie in our house that why were confused.
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010