Help with getting my baby to sleep in her own space!

She is 7 months old, breastfed, we co-sleep right now, and I do NOT believe in CIO or Ferberizing. That said, all I want to accomplish for now is getting her to sleep in her bassinet at the foot of our bed for at least most of the night. She will usually lay down and nurse to sleep, but she freaks out when I move her. I don't mind her being in bed with us for part of the night, but I have GOT to start getting some sleep and it would be nice to sleep without worrying about her crawling off the bed. Help please!

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 5:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She won't nurse at all if you're not laying down? I would try nursing laying down until she gets sleepy, and then gently pick her up and get into a sitting position and then gently into the bassinet. Also, remember that we tend to want things to change during difficult phases and that also tends to be the worst time for change. By the time they've calmed down, we've given up on changing anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Try this as an alternative: http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• First, get a guardrail and stop worrying about her crawling off the bed. You wake when she wakes, right? You'd know she was awake before she got anywhere.

Next... nurse her to sleep sitting up and when she's asleep, lay her down on her tummy and rub her back or rock her gently. Soft music helps, too. You may have to repeat several times, but she should eventually sleep in the bassinet... don't expect her to stay asleep there, though. My 10 month old will sleep for an hour at a time alone and 6 hours straight next to me or his brother. With consistence she should start going longer stretches during the second year, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• How can I convince her to nurse sitting up? She has gotten so used to laying down nursing, she struggles and arches when I try to nurse her sitting up. I don't remember my other 2 being this stubborn. :)
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 6:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2010