How can i lay down the law with out going out of bounds.

My 11 year old is completely out of control, with tantrums, screaming, hitting walls and her siblings. weve grounded we taken things away we don time outs, weve tried everything. if you ask me she needs a good woopin. her grandparents discipline as well but she still asks like she sules the roost. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she needs to be spanked then do it, seems like you've exhaused all other options. Just make sure you cool off before you spank her. My 11yo daughter is going through the same thing, I think it's the hormones. I can tell you with my 11yo we put her in a corner on her knees, time depends on what she did. This works great....first of all she hears all the family interacting with eachother, but can't participate. also, like most girls, she goes crazy from the silence. not to mention it's an uncomfortable position to be in.
    Anonymous

• 11 year old throwing tantrums? Strip her room of absolutely everything. Take everything away from her except her clothes, food and bed. Make it so she has to earn her things back.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Perhaps she has something more serious going on. Take her to the doctor. An 11 yr old is too old to be whooped. All that would show her is that you are bigger than her and a bully. You'd be showing the same type of behavior you are punishing her for and that would be confusing.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Do you give in on the tantrums?! If so, THAT would be the reason they are continuing!!! You should be holding firm to your rules. I would stop buying her anything other than absolute essentials. If she wants something other than basic necessities--make her work for it! If she behaves for "x days," (does her homework, doesn't misbehave, etc.) then she can have something she wants--proportionate to her behavior.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think admckenzie is right...it sounds like there is something going on
    I do not see how stripping her room of everything will do anything but make her hate you -yes it will probably put a band-aid on the problem, but how long will it last before she either runs away or you make her completely hate you...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• She doesn't need a whoopin, she needs counseling to see why she is so old and still having angry outbursts. Whooping her is just going to reinforce that it is ok to HIT someone else. Isn't that something you are trying to get her to stop? Find out what is wrong with her before you start whopping her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010