when is the soonest i can put my newborn on a feeding schedule? He eats every hour and a half to 2 hours 3oz each feeding and i want him to eat every 3 hours because i think he's getting way to much formula eating os often. He's a litle over 3 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The nurses at the hospital put my babies on a 3 hour feeding schedule while I was there. I just always kept that up after we went home for the first few days and then started letting them sleep as long as they would at night, but kept feeding every 3 hours during the day. I breastfed so I don't know about how much formula, but the nurses at the hospital said that breastfed babies should be fed every 3 hours and formula fed babies every 4 hours. Maybe you should ask your dr?

Answer by missanc at 6:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• he's still at the age where you should be feeding on demand. feed him when he's hungry and let him eat until he's full.
    he'll put himself on a schedule eventually. no need to rush him into a schedule at this point. the schedule should revolve around him and when he wants to eat.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My baby drink to much formula too but he doing fine. that help him feeling full and sleep 2hr or 3hr or 4hr untill he 9 month old. he finally sleep 8hr . Im like to see him grow as he been feed alot and cute. U have follow ur baby schrdule. Not your self. when baby wake and cry for hungry or change disper. if he sleeping than dont bother, is ok to check on him make is safe sleeping.

or ask ur doctor?
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 7:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It sounds like he's eating the right amount. And being that young you want to keep on his schedule for feedings. If anything try to stretch the feedings to 3 hours but the 3 oz sounds perfect or close to it. As long as the doctors aren't worried about it it's fine, always call them if you have a question about something, that's why you pay them!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010