What is wrong? Toddler-tummy aches

My 2 1/2 year old is complaining that her stomach hurts and that she has to poop, but she already pooped a normal amount this morning and then went a small amount, 4 other times! She has no other symptoms and her poop looks relatively normal.(Not diarrhea, no blood, not too hard, etc.) It could be gas, but she isn't passing gas and runs to the toilet when she's complaining that her tummy hurts! She says it feels like she has to go. I just have no idea! Does anyone have any ideas?

BritlovesAva

Asked by BritlovesAva at 5:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• May have GAS. Call your local pharmacist for over the counter relief.
    Anonymous

• I would say encourage the fluids. There are days my daughter has pooing days were every toilet seems to have some poo in it. See if she can push the next time.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thank you for your responses. She does push every time because she feels like she has to go, but nothing comes out. She drinks a ton of water too. I am pretty sure she drank too much juice yesterday though and that may be the problem. She usually only has 1 very small cup of juice a day or none, and she had 2 juice boxes at her gparents' house and a cup here. :( It is just so sad!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 6:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Has she had a cold or cough recently? My daughter complained of this same thing, had no fever and on and off cough and cold and I finally found a doctor to check it out and she had pneumonia. He said persistant stomach pain in children is a common sign of pneumonia!! I was shocked. Anyway, I don't know if that is a possibility or not but I thought I would share that with you. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would recommend having her drink more water, and eat more high fiber foods. Maybe she has some hard poop that wont come out try a stool softener. My 5 year old would poop out a little and could not finish. He ended up getting lumps in his belly and had to get an enema. Once the enema was given my son poops without problem. I would take your child to the doctor and see what is going on.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• they've got children's gas-x.. i'd definitely give that a try.
    Anonymous