Moms of kids with ADHD....do you have any ideas to help my dd calm...without ritalin?

NO BASHING please...just want some ideas from mothers who have been there, maybe you know something I dont?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• ritalin is basically speed.

have you tried rationing caffeine to her through out the day?
    Anonymous

• A lot of people use diet to help. Some children are sensitive to food dyes, preservatives, gluten, dairy, eggs, soy.... a whole string of things.

An unprocessed, whole foods, low/no sugar diet is good for everyone. It can't hurt to try it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Anon at 6:14....You mean rationing caffeine to her throughout the day in an effort to have a "natural" means of ritalin...sort of....does that work...I have heard of that...

I have tried the gluten free diet...but I am thinking of trying it again...in a more..."eat whole foods" type idea. If it comes in a wrapper, dont eat it...ya know.
    Anonymous

• ok a friend of mine works with kids with ADHD shes a teacher and has told me that some of the kids will drink mt dew. something to do with the caffine and she swears it really works she sujusted maybe a can but her kids are in there teens. with my dd she said a small disposible cup of it and so far she is paying more attention in school and is more active in school and less fidgetie. something to try. she also said it can take a few days to see a result..
    Anonymous

• Diet, as suggested is a good way to go. Also, don't let her off the hook for breaking rules just because she has ADHD as it will become her excuse for everything. We found changing our parenting style very helpful in lower our stress levels and in making our dd more pleasant to be around. The parenting program we are using is Love & Logic. You can find information regarding L&L online at www.loveandlogic.com. GL!
    Anonymous

• some studies have shown that kids with add and adhd have low levels of essential fatty acids(omegas). you can try a supplement of flax or fish oil. there are also lots of foods that have been adding these oils. it is also thought that essential fatty acids contribute to postpartum depression... i took supplements after my third baby and i noticed a difference.

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There are therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books at a library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/ You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or elsewhere. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The caffiene doesn't always work!!! There are others meds for ADHD that aren't speed or stimulants. There is diet but that didn't work for my son and the pharmacist and doctors I have talked to said there is no concrete evidence on the affects of fish oil or hemp oil on ADHD. The evidence is too new for any of them to recommend it or not. My son does and has done very well on Ritalin, Concerta nd Vyvanse. Sometimes, meds are the best thing for the kids. My son's grades and self esteem went up a lot after taking the meds. You have to do what you feel is best for your child. What works for one child may not work for another one. There are also many meds out there other than Ritalin.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• keep her busy.. lots of activities.. things that she will enjoy, gymnastics, soccer, play groups, karate, swimming lessons, bike rides..
    clear her diet of artificial ingredients.. limit tv.. no video games..
    and, as said above, look into your own methods of parenting.. try to provide a calm, cool environment for her with lots of structure and routine..
    you deserve lots of praise for your efforts to keep her away from meds..
    keep up the awesome parenting.
    Anonymous

• hemp oil might be a brilliant thing to try..
    Anonymous