WHY does a 12 year old NEED a cell phone?

Where on Earth are they going that they have no access to a phone? Who are they going with that you need to have a direct line to them? For Safety? How did any of us ever survive our childhood's with out a cell phone? Am I the only on e that thinks it's stupid to buy a 12-15 year old a cell phone. I mean maybe at 16. At least the they are driving...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you! Our kids will not get one until they can buy it for themselves and maintain the monthly payments.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My kids all have cell phones and its pretty conveniant. I say if someone can afford to get them for their kids, and their kids have busy schedules like most do then its a good thing. My kids have used theirs a number of times to let me know things like their field trip was running late getting back, they needed a ride because they missed the bus, their friends mom had a flat once and she didnt have a cell so they called me, and just really there are tons of reasons why they can use one.
    Anonymous

• Keep in mind that when we were young there were phone booths nearby that we could call for help if we needed it. Yes I think a young adolescent needs one. With so many bad things happening to children they should have a way to call for help since phone booths are few and far between.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• To call for help. Life is NOT predictable. Deny it all you want but someday, somewhere your 12 yr old will get into trouble and want your help. You cannot prevent bad things from happening, no matter how much you try.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you :) I think if they have a cell it makes it easier for them to sneak around as well.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I will probably get mine the ones where they can only call like 3 numbers or w/e
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think it's retarded. Kids shouldn't have a phone unless they can pay for it, and parents need to know where their kids are, not let them run around with a phone in case they need to get in touch.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with you on this. their is know reason for children to have a cell phone. If they are 16 and have a job to pay for the service I can see. But no job no phone.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i think if the kids are doing good in school and u can aford it then why not. its a new generation and its the cool thing for kids to do,sure helps keeping em out of trouble and smoking and skiping school.teaches them resposibility
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There is no reason for a child that young to have a cell phone unless they are trying to hide something.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010