I want to know more about miscarriages

Hi, i just recently found out that i am expecting and i want to look at everything that happen with a pregnancy i have looked into a lot but im not understanding something about miscarriages. If u think your having one and u go to the doctor they will do an ultrasound now what will they be looking for in that ultrasound and how will you know if you have has a miscarriage? If you go into an ER and you are pregant, u have bleeding and abdomonal pain than how do they know for sure that you have had a miscarriage. If you are expecting and the doctor does an ultrasound but your uterus is empty wouldnt there be signs of a miscarriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They will check for a heartbeat. If they cannot find one doing a normal ultrasound they will do a vaginal ultrasound. When I had my miscarriage in 2000 I was having cramps all day long. The day before I had an ultrasound where they told me they thought the baby was dead. They said it did not grow beyond 9 weeks. I was at my 3 month checkup when they did the ultrasound and found no heartbeat. I didn't believe them at first and refused to start a DNC. The next day I started bleeding and cramping. By mid day I was having a full blown miscarriage. At first it was just cramping. Just like you are about to start your period. I wrote it off as grief because of what the doc said. I was on my way to another doctor for a second opinion when the m/c happened.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• You don't need to go the the ER if you have a miscarriage. It is a waste of money, it is stressful, and there is nothing they can do. You can wait until your doctor's office hours and call the doctor's office. The doctor may not have you come in if it is obvious it is a miscarriage because there is nothing that can be done.

If you have an ultrasound and there is no heartbeat the baby is dead and you will have a miscarriage.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Gaill that is very wrong. A DNC can be done. Sometimes not everything comes out when you have a miscarriage. THen an infection can set in. When mine happened I was rushed to the ER. Part of the placenta was still there. I had to have the DNC. If I had not it could have effected my ability to have more children. So please if not the ER see your doc.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• When you go in to the ER for a miscarriage soon they will confirm the pregnancy with a urine test and a blood test and figure out just how far along you are. Once they have confirmed the pregnancy an ultrasound is done to make sure the pregnancy isn't ectopic (outside the uterus) and to see just how much "product of conception" you have remaining in your uterus (man I hate the phrase 'products of conception'). If the prengnacy isn't ectopic and no possible complications were evident in the ultrasound then you have a couple of options. You can take an oral dose of oxytocin to allow the embyo/ fetus pass semi-naturally, or they can do a DNC, in which they literally scrape your uterus out. I chose to take oxytocin with all of my miscarriages. The doctor will schedule you for another ultrasound if you decline the DNC to make sure that everything has passed to make sure it won't get infected from lingering too long. Hope this helps
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Sorry, I didn't mean to say "soon", in the first sentence I meant to say first.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• well when i had my miscarriage the dr told me a DNC wasnt needed and he just told me to go home and sleep it off and there was nothing i could do and i never have to go back for A follow up checkup.. but going to the ER is a waste of money the dr gave me a discount coz i have no insurance which brought my bill down to 1,700 dollars but waste of money ur body will pass everything naturally,,
    MOMMY2BE0786

Answer by MOMMY2BE0786 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I just suffered a m/C on Sunday! It may seem like a waste of money to go to the ER, but if you a pregnant and scared. Go to the ER. It will reassure you and that way if there is something that can be done to save your baby or keep you healthy it gets done. It's up to the individual. I do not regret going.

Mommy2be51306

Answer by Mommy2be51306 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I also went to the er when I had bleeding and they did a transvaginal ultrasound. The ER Dr was able to confirm that I was indeed having a miscarrigae and I went to see the OB/GYN the following day. They also did a transvaginal ultrasound and confirmed that I was experiencing a miscarriage. I was given medication to help move it along, as well as medication for pain. It took about 4 months to get back into a regular cyclea again. But now, I just found out I am 6 weeks along.
    karin_beth636

Answer by karin_beth636 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010