Did WHO exaggerate the H1N1 Pandemic?

The World Health Organization has found itself on the defensive. A number of governments have accused the health agency of exaggerating the severity of Swine Flu and of being in the pockets of the pharmaceutical industry.

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/health/WHO-Says-H1N1-Swine-Flu-Pandemic-Not-Over-81976267.html

Did the WHO and the CDC pander to the drug companies, who made millions off the various governments from the immunizations sold around the world?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anon, yeah you are SO right! I definitely said 11,000 wasn't enough :::rolls eyes::: I am sure your "perfectly healthy" friend had an underlying condition whether that be asthma or stomach ulcers. I NEVER said that it wasn't a tragedy to lose 11,000 lives but to claim 90,000 people were going to DIE IS an exaggeration. I don't fall into your anonymous guilt trips so save them.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Hmm gee, can we name anything else WHO exaggerates? I can think of a few.....

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• the swine flu was just another mutation of the typical flu virus. It was brought way out of proportion by WHO. every year there are new strains of the flu virus. they don't all get these nifty new names that make them scary to the general population with no medical knowledge.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I knew it.
    Anonymous

• I'd love to see all the ladies on CM who were predicting doom and gloom, mass deaths, etc. come on here and respond. That isn't likely to happen though, is it?

Yes, I think they pandered, and we paid. The U.S. government will have millions of extra dosages that will go to waste.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Big shocker this one.

If their is medicine, oil, or serious resources involved, some "neutral" agency will find a way to blow things up and spread the wealth from our pockets to theirs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• A horrific death toll was hoped for but God had other plans, so their scientifically engineered mass death plan did not occur but then there is always next year, especially if we all, are mandated for vaccines...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Yes, they definitely blew it out of all proportion. They made it seem like all humanity was in danger. I never got it, nor did I get the vaccine. I don't think I even know anyone who had it, either. I have heard of a couple who were the friend of a friend of a friend, and it wasn't all that bad, just like a normal flu. Wonder what's going to come at us this year???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

ummm, what??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that they really did not know what they were dealing with so they had to act as if it were the worst case scenario. Better to overreact than to be caught totally unprepared. That being said, yes, I think they responded out of proportion to the actual threat when all was said and done.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010