Treadmill advice needed. I thought I was going to die!

I'm new to the treadmill. How am I suppose to know what incline to use and at what speed. I'm just starting off and I am way out of shape. It has preprogrammed programs in it and they are all way out of my league! What would you recommend. What incline, speed, how long, how often?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• When I do cardio at the gym on the treadmill, I want to say my settings are 2.5-3.5incline and 4.0speed. Then I increase the speed and decrease it throughout the hour I'm on there. FOR YOU I would start at maybe a .5 incline and about a 2.5 or 3.0 speed. Once you get used to that you need to switch it up every few days so your body doesn't get used to the workout. So one day maybe do a higher speed, lower incline, then a few days later higher incline lower speed........so on.
    My enemy is the elliptical!!!!!!! 10min on that thing and I want to assume the fetal position and cry lol.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• When I started it was no incline and 2.3 miles per hour, work up from there. You go girl http://healthyforfree.blogspot.com
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would start out at 2.0 to 3.0. I would also start out without any incline. I've heard that if you can withstand a certain speed and/or incline for 5 minutes without feeling it "too much" then you can increase the speed & incline, but if you have trouble, go back down. As you spend more time on the the treadmill, you will be able to increase things. My treadmill will incline in increments of 0.5 so if your's is like this, you can increase the incline little by little. Good luck!
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010