Am I overreacting?

My son comes from his dad's tonight and says that one of his friends mom is bringing him (and my daughter) lunch from McDonalds. I am bothered by the fact that she didn't even have the common courtesy to ask whether or not it was okay with us (my husband and I). As far as my son goes, I have full custody of him, his father has him 2 weekends a month. During his time, yes, he can choose what our son may have, during the remainder, it is my decision to choose what he may have. This girl's mother works at the school and so tomorrow I will go to the office and let them know that no one is allowed to give them outside food without our permission first.

Am I overreacting to this? Again, it is a nice gesture (even McD's is not the choice lunch in our house), but I felt it to be very rude of her to not even consider asking. And that is not ok with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would let it go for that one day and talk to her, because yes it is punishing the kids for THEIR FATHER"S mistake, she asked a parent, so she didn't realy do anything wrong, he is their father and therefore can make choices for them so be mad at him not her. Just talk to her and tell her that you want to be consulted as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Oh I think you are right on target, especially if she works for the school, she should know better.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think you are overreacting, she is trying to be nice and most likely didnt consider her bahavior steping on your toes. You may want to tell her hey thanks but next time can you make sure to ask me and my husband as well so there is no confusion.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I know it wouldn't have been okay with me. What if your child had a food allergy that she knew nothing about? That could have been disastrous. I think it is just common courtesy to ask first.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Did she ask his father while ds was with him for the weekend? if she did and he said yes, then you should be mad at him not her.

I agree with truealaskanmom. talk with the other mom first.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I don't think you're overreacting at all. McDonald's isn't exactly healthy, and it's not a choice lunch for my kiddos either. She should have at least asked you first if it would be alright. They're YOUR children, not hers.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP HERE. Sonjam301, yes I believe this is what happened. ANd believe me, I am upset more at him than her right now. I haven't called him because I am not happy right now and would rather wait a while before calling while angry.

Some background: This chick, is not a "complete" stranger. I graduated high school with her. We were not friends. We are not friends now. I have nothing against her, but I still don't consider myself to actually "know" her. I know of her. But even with relatives and friends of mine, I ALWAYS ask the parents' permission if they can have anything.And whoever mentioned food allergy is right on target, I thought the same thing! Although my kids have no known allergies, it was risky for her to bring food to them.
    Anonymous

• I also wanted to ask if you guys felt I was punishing the kids because of her screw up? I don't want to do that.
    Anonymous

• truealaskamom said what I was going to say :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Ok, just one clarification, my daughter isnot his fathers child. I'm married to her father. My sons father is from a previous relationship 9 years ago. So, she asked NO ONE about my daughter. She assumed it was ok. She is an adult and knows better.
    Anonymous