What would you charge????

I feel obligated to watch my B-I-L and his wife's 2 kids. It would be from 10-5-ish some days, maybe less...Mon-Fri. They always tend to call literally on the same day as they need me to watch them. So now my M-I-L is asking for them...which is funny because if the mom of the kids calls, and I don't answer, my M-I-L will call within 5 min of her to also ask if I can watch the kids. So anyway, I seriously thought about saying no to a regular schedule to watch them, then I thought maybe if I said I would charge XXX amount, then maybe they won't be so prone to taking advantage of me. I just hate how they go about asking me to watch their kids. They are 2 and 3 years old. So, back to question...What should I say I would charge. I'd also be changing the younger ones diapers, and feeding them lunches and snacks, as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• 100 dollars a day. but you need to make it clear ro all of them that you are not their personal babysitter it isnt fair to you what if you have things that you need to do.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Well, in this area, the going rate for daycare service is $20 per hour, plus $10 for each additional child. If you really don't want to do it though, you ought to just tell them no.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• $10 an hour
    or
    $40 a day
    starryey3s

Answer by starryey3s at 7:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Depends on their financial situation. Can they afford an hourly rate? If not, can they afford a daily rate? We paid my SIL around $20 a day while I was student teaching. Toward the end, we paid in food because that was all we had. If they can afford it, I would say around $160 a week. That is what the daycare charged us for one week's worth of service for one child.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It is alway tough when it comes to taking care of family. But my suggestion to you would be to contact a local daycare center or do some research for your area to find out how much it would be to take care of children. Then you have a cost that is reasonable. If she is expecting you to take care of her children on a regular basis, then she should be willing to pay for it. I have a 9-yr old and I pay $180 per month for 2 hours of after school care.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 8:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• depends if you enjoy watching them. i watched my nephew for about 40 a week, but most day cares charge a lot more. i wouldnt charge more then 100 a week for family. do they watch your kids? is it a fair exchange? but thats if you want to . my SIL would offer to watch my daughter if i ever needed it and then would act like she didnt want to the two times i actually needed it. there is nothing worse then the feeling like you are making some one watch your kids. ended up quiting my job because when my husband would have to deploy or whatever no one to watch the kids. it suck , so if you really do not want to watch them then please tell them so they can find someone who does want to ..maybe the MIL for example.
    Anonymous

• at a daycare here they only charge 15 dollars a day. but in ur case i would tell them 50 bucks a week
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• $250 per week - and that is being nice, around here it would be that per child.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• here it would anywhere from 75-125 a week per child, since they are fam i would 50 a week per child or 80-90 bucks to be really nice.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It would be about $300 / week if they paid daycare, so start there. They don't get any family rate. They can pay the "drop-in" extra inconvenience rate. Plus, they have to bring all diapers and diapering supplies, or can pay $10 for every diaper you have to provide. That should make them stop calling, or you make a ton of money.

OR

They agree to it and then don't pay. So after like 2 days of that, no more! Good luck.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010