Fostering a child from Haiti ( maybe adopt if child was a orphan

I would love to foster a child from Haiti . I see their little faces on T.V. and it just break my heart to see how much pain they have gone through in the past weeks. They already had a hard enough life and know the earthquake. Some of them lost their parents. How sad!!! I was wondering if any knows if they will be sending these children to the United States and if there is a need to give them a home ?? Kinda of a strange question I know. The whole situation breaks my heart I feel like I need to do something besides give money which I already have. I actually had a dream the other night that I adopted a child from Haiti. I guess after watching all the news coverage it was fresh in my mind after going to sleep. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this or who I could contact for more information.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• I don't know. But I wouldn't mind knowing that myself.
    And you never know. Sometimes dreams can be prophetic.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• This is NOT going to happen. Haiti is one of the longest programs to begin with.. you are matched with a child and them you wait to travel.. most people wait up to 2 years to travel.
    1.) The US is very strict about bringing a foreign born child into the country. They have to be declared a legal orphan before the USCIS will consider them adoptable.
    2.) I've seen several country programs shut down when a natural disaster occurs. It prohibits "unsavory" people from being considered.
    3.) It will most likely be years before any of those children are considered actual orphans.
    4.) If Haiti becomes Hague compliant they will be required to place children in Haiti before internationally.
    5.) The process to adopt internationally is long and exhausting...I've done it, but with China. It took over 2 years for us.
    6.) It is not all ponies and happy times. It is vital that a ton of research about adoption is done first.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• mcginnisc: I know adoption is not all ponies and happy times I am a birth mother. I was just wondering thats all. I see their little faces and it breaks my heart. I realize taking them out their home and culture would be very hard and if they could stay with their extended families that would be best for them. I have just heard stories on the news about the children who were orphanged in Haiti coming to America and was curious and if I could extend my home to a child in need I would even if it was a short time. Everyone wants to help in some way. I do appreciate your honest answer though
    Anonymous

• OP-I think that's the maternal instinct in you and a lot of us. Sadly, as mcginnisc suggested, it won't be allowed. We need to pray, send donations (money or other items) thru the proper channels to avoid being scammed and to make sure it gets to where it's supposed to go. Bless your heart, though, for thinking of these little ones in need. If only it were that easy. Hugs!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Then how is it I see a news story on my local news tonight of these 3 Haitian children that were just brought to our city to live with a family? Not their family either (the family was white) not understanding that...
    Anonymous

• Anon-11:52
    There are medical programs in place that will allow for children to come for interim care for a few months and then go back to the bio families in Haiti.
    However, you have to understand that some children already were adopted and were waiting on visas to come into the country. The Haitian process takes years... months for a referral and then years for a visa. IF these children were adopted, then they were just awaiting a visa to leave the country. The US is very strict...I know as I'm an adoptive parent to an IA kiddo.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Well, if I'm reading this article correctly and you are in this vicinity, call your local CPS and find out how soon you might be approved to foster one or more of these children. If you find that it may take a few months for the process, just keep in mind that it took well over 2 years to rebuild New Orleans and go ahead and start. If you find that you can't do this, perhaps you can find out what kind of supplies, toys, books, etc. that you can donate to your local CPS for distribution to these needy children.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The absolute best thing you can do for these kids short term is to make a monetary donation to a reputable organization that is helping them.
    Anonymous

• I am a member of a group called rainbowkids.com they update us with ways to sponsor these children and also they are looking for foster homes as well. They are also on facebook. Hope this helps!
    mzieske

Answer by mzieske at 6:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2010