is it ok to switch between breast milk and formula if it isn't very often?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The issue is that when you give formula your body isn't keeping up with the baby. If you do it more than every once in awhile your supply will go down and you won't have enough.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If you're ok with it, and baby tolerates it, it's fine. Though, you should pump for the missed feeding to keep up supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Formula may cause intestinal upsets and constipation. It is hard to digest. It also may cause an allergic reaction...that's just the reality.   You'd be better off pumping or expressing enough milk to be given enough in your absence.   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html     and    http://video.about.com/breastfeeding/Hand-Expression-Technique.htm

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• yup - I couldnt make enough to keep up with my baby despite pumping so I had no choice and he was just fine
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I had no problems with giving my first son a rare fomula bottle. He didn't like it very much (I mean have you ever tasted that stuff?) but would eat it.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Keep in mind that every bottle deprives your body of the signal to make more milk. But if baby tolerates the formula, it's not harmful at all. Many babies can go back and forth...it's mom's supply thatr's the real issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010