Do you or would you allow your children to talk back to you?

Im just asking because I have a cousin who allows her daughter to talk to her any kind of way. Her daughter is 14. We were in the kitchen and getting ready to eat and she called her daughter to eat way too many times. Her daughter came in the kitchen and yelled. "I was on the phone, thats so rude." and her mom was like, "well it was time to eat". And her daughter yelled back, "well next time wait."

It took all of me to keep my mouth shut. But Im looking at my cousin like are you seriously gonna let her talk to you like that.

I would have knocked the hell out of her. There is no way in hell my child, teenager or young adult daughter would ever talk to me like that and it be allowed.

Im just wondering how many people allows it. It just seems totally disrespectful to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I wouldn't allow it.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My dd is three. She tried that one today and lost all of her toys for it. She won't be getting them back until she shows more respect to her parents. She got that combined with a time out. If that doesn't work, the next step is a spanking.

If I would have talked back to my parents, my little behind would have been too sore to sit on for AT LEAST a month.

It is disrespectful, and it is wrong.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i dont allow my kids to talk back. now that they are small when they do talk back. (which is not often ) i spank them and take toys, games away for a while
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP Here: Im glad Im not the only one. It took all of me not to jump out of my seat and correct that attitude of her. I try not to say anything because my cousin gets mad but its totally disrespectful.

I cant see how she allows it because growing up either of us would have dared to talk to our parents like that. We would have been picking up all our teeth.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Absolutely NOT. That would have earned her a spanking and grounding from the phone.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• She would be beat until next week. I don't like it when kids disrespect adults, hell I don't like it when anyone disrespects anyone else. She will be able to tell me how she feels but she will not do it in a disrespectful manner. There are proper ways to do things and she will taught those.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• funny, i just brought my 4 yo out of bed for being rude to me. if my 2 yo hasn't been having such a hard time sleeping lately, i wouldn't have had to bring him downstairs to talk to him. he was scared i think!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• op here: what pisses me off even more is her mom does so much for her. She has had a cell phone since she was 11. Hell she got a touch screen for Christmas, she got a Tiffany bracelet, where name brand everything, goes to the hair salon more than I do and I work. She is so priveledge and she has no respect.
    She comes to my house all the time because she claims she doesnt like being at home. She doesnt talk to me like that or her aunts. Only her mom and its getting out of hand. She asked me if she could live with me because I was nice....
    I told her trust me...Im not as nice as I seem....I would hurt you seriously if you thought you would talk to me like you do your mom. She just look at me.
    I think Im gonna say something to her the next time she is at my house.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• You would hit a child to teach her....what exactly? All the mom had to do is tell her that dinner was ready once. It's up to the child to get to the table and eat. There was no reason to keep calling the girl over and over. The mom WAS rude. The child spoke up for herself and corrected the mom. The mom should know how to act and shouldn't need a teen to teach her how to act properly.
    Anonymous

• Heck no. They try it sometimes, and get the stare of death. They're 9 and 4, so the Death Stare works for now. They know it is NOT OK to talk back to mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010