Would you let your daughter even if it meant...

My dd loves spending the night with her cousins. She can't get enough of it. The only thing is her aunt and uncle swear up a storm in front of their own children, so I know they won't curb their language for mine. Not to mention the fact that her cousins act like little brats and get away with EVERYTHING. Because of this, dd either comes home back talking or starts back talking after her cousins leave.

Would you honestly let your dd have a sleep over if she ALWAYS acts like a little MONSTER and a SPOILED BRAT afterwards? I mean, they are her cousins. What do YOU think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't want my child exposed to all that mess...family or not. You have to do what you know is best for your child.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• nope - there would be consequences that if she acts like that when she comes home she can't go next time she wants to
    maybe try having them over more often?
    remind her that she is your child and regaurdless of what house she is at her behavior needs to reflect your rules.

good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP here. We tried the whole having them over here. Apparently, I'M not a good enough mom and SHE worries about her kids being over here. We are good church going people, and that seems to offend some of my family.
    Anonymous

• no. at some point i would let her stay over or them stay over at your house. if she misbehaved afterward or had the attitude and all that afterward, then i would tell her that it won't happen again for another month or something. there needs to be consequences. i don't think i said it as well as the previous poster, but i agree with her. ha ha.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• LOL - ok then I would say you need to stick to if she cant behave how you expect her to at your house and theres all the time then she cant go.
    I remember when I was in elementary school I started asking my mom questions about my friends mom's bf that spent the night and after that I wasnt allowed to spend the night over there anymore (we are a church fam too). It caused some upset, but my mom chose that there were certain things she didnt want me around, and certain behaviors that she didnt want me to learn

good luck!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• omg. church going or not...wow. if they are your family i would have a conversation with them. if they are your DHs i would want him to. do they have a problem with you being around the kids?? i mean this just sounds ridiculous to me.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would let her go but she would know what goes on in their home is there business and not to bring it in my house... Bottom line.
    Anonymous

• nope
    Anonymous

• OP here. It's my family, and talking never seems to work. Because I am always wrong about something in their view point. And I have been yelled at for "pushing" my religion on them when I asked one of their kids to say the family dinner prayer. I'm SO sorry. I thought you had some sort of belief since you HAD to have your kids baptized.

Anyway, I agree aly. It is ridiculous. Still leaves me in a bit of a pickle though!
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't. my sil's kids are like that. and they aren't very hands on w/ their kids. their 8yo son supervises their two toddlers more than they do. they've invited my kids to sleep over, but i declined. they think i'm overprotective or too possessive of my kids, but i'm really just not convinced they will be adequately supervised and cared for when my kids visit. i need to know my kids will be in a good environment before i let them spend the night anywhere.

btw, i'd be insulted if she thinks she has to worry about her kids around YOU and that you shouldnt worry about your own with her. that's like her saying she's a better mother. i'm not trying to egg on any drama, just stating my opinion.
    Anonymous