So it looks like my younger 16 yo sister will be coming to live with me..advice?

She is a good kid hasn't been in trouble, doing good in school. Because of family issues it looks like she will be coming to live with me and my dh, in a week or so. I only have a 2 yo boy.

So any advice or tips about teens you can offer? would love to have some input from experience parents of teens.

thx in advance.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• clappingNo advice but I just want to say that you are an amazing person to take this on and help your younger sister.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• high fiveI'm happy to see this update that she's coming to live with you!  I've been praying about this!

you know, from your last post, it sounds like she's a good kid with a good head on her shoulders despite what she's been through. 

all I can offer for advice right now is keep the open and honest relationship with her!

Anonymous

• Make sure she sees you as a responsible adult, and not only as the cool big sister.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Let her know the house rules before she even comes. You may be her sister but you will also be her guardian and it is YOUR home. Set curfews, dating rules, consequences for breaking the rules. Let her know you love her and are glad you can be there...but she will need to understand she isn't your room mate. She is your responsibilty and there will be rules. Make sure you and your DH/SO are all on the same page before she even steps in the door to avoid problems later. If set rules and he/she contradicts you..you will become the bad guy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Put down some ground rules right up front. But do not try to be her mother.

Answer by louise2 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone!

We talked today about curfew, whats expected of her at the home (cleanliness, dishes/chores etc), also talked a little about what she plans for the future.

Talked about hanging out with friends, her responsibilty if we allow her to get her car from my mothers.

she is coming over wed to hang out and talk so more with both me and my DH.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• GL my 16yo sis lived with me for a while also due to family issues, its hard to do because they look at you as big sis not some one they really have to mind, well at least my sis did. be patient and deal with one thing at a time
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Sit down and talk on day one about boundaries and expectations. Allow her to have some say. compromise where you can. Make sure everything is out in the open form day one. No surprises.

I also would be careful that you do not fall into the habit of thinking she is your live in baby sitter. I am not saying that to be mean, I just could see myself doing that be accident. YOu know thinking. Wow! ___ is home I can run to the store and leave the baby here! And then end up doing it to often.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Show her respect and she'll show you respect so it can all work out well. Keep lines of communication open and help keep her self esteem high so she won't take whatever is happening personally. You are a great sister.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think its great that you are letting her come and live with you the only advice I would have for you is to set the ground rules for her while in your home.(boundaries,expectations,chores,cerfews etc.) Good luck.

Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2010