can you prep a chicken stew slow cooker recipe the night before then put it on to cook the next day?

i am always paranoid about stuff going bad, and ignorant about it too.

can i cut up all my veggies and chicken, put in the broth and seasonings, put the slow cooker in the fridge with the lid on overnight, then put it on to cook in the morning. (i have potatoes, bell peppers, tomatillos, garlic, cumin, if it matters)

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I had a similar question, and the response I got was that it would be fine. But if I were doing it, I'd put the ingredients in a container in the refrigerator and then dump them into the slow cooker in the morning. It wouldn't involve much more time or work, and you wouldn't have to worry about the chilled crock warming up quickly enough.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think so. I would leave it to "warm" up a little before I plop it in the crock pot and turn it on. I would worry about it heating the cold crock and then it cracks!
    Anonymous

• I have taken my crock from the frig straight into the base and turned it on w/o a problem. I do it all the time when doing pulled pork. In your case I would not mix them tonight. I would do all the chopping and put the veggies in containers or ziplocs, cut up your chicken...put it in a ziploc and have it all ready to just dump and go in the morning. The thought of veggies sitting all night next to raw chicken really gives me the willies.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• thanks! i didn't even think of the temp change with the pot. :)
    Anonymous