Stripped membranes

when will your doctor strip your membranes? i am almost 36 weeks and my husband and i are anxiouly waiting for our beautiful baby girl. any ideas? is there anything that will speed up the process?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• there would be absolutely no need to strip membranes until past the due date. many providers would not do that unless there was a good reason to do it anyway. pregnancy is up to 42 weeks, so just hang in there for the long run! especially at 36 weeks, your baby likely won't be ready for weeks.
    Anonymous

• there are risks to stripping the membranes btw, including AROM which can increase your risks of c-section, which of course increases your risks for infection and other problems.
    Anonymous

• Most doctors won't strip your membranes before forty weeks they may do it after thirty eight weeks if you request it though. I promise you don't want a baby born a month before it's ready to come out though that's a whole new can of worms that you just need to leave alone if you can help it. Plus after she's here you'll be wishing you had more time to rest up and prepare.
    Anonymous

• I know you dont want to hear it, but babies wont come til they are ready. With my first, I had my membranes stripped twice, once at 39 weeks, and again at 40. I was induced at 40 weeks 3 days, and the induction failed since my cervix wasn't ripe and wouldn't thin out. My daughter was born at 41 weeks 3 days as nature intended.
    And as if I didn't believe it, I tried again with my second, stripping my membranes a day before my due date. She was born at 41 weeks 2 days after a successful induction.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i requested mine to be stripped. some doctors will do it others wont. my doctor wounlt do it till 38 wks some wont do it till your 40-42 wks. by the way it only works for some woman and if you have dialted at all or only a little it probably wont work. i was 38 wks 4 cm dialated and 75% effaced i went into labor 3 hrs later and had her the next morning.

by the way your baby isnt full term till 37 wks. have you dialted at all. and have you talk to your doctor about it. your doctor wont do it if he doesnt wnat to and like i said some wont do it unless your overdue
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• at 36 weeks your baby isnt ready. i would be surprised if there was any docotr that did it before 37 weeks. i had it done at 38 weeks, and was induced at 40 weeks.. so unless your body is ready it wot work anyway.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2010