Feeling guilty about leaving work on time??

I work at a daycare and when I was first hired, I was hired to work from 3-6. Over the past few months, I have worked my way up to lead teacher and now my hours are 7:30-3:30. However, the director has not hired anyone to replace my old hours, so I work from 7:30-5:30 with no lunch break. There are certain days that I need to leave at 3:30, but I feel so guilty about asking because I feel like I am disappointing my boss. Don't get me wrong, my boss is great to work for and if I asked her if I could leave so will let me no questions asked, but I just feel guilty. Working 50 hours a week, plus school, plus my family responsiblities are starting to wear me down. I just don't know what to do. I know my boss needs me to work these hours for the next month or so, until she can hire someone, but I feel so worn out my the end of the day. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Oh, I have been in the exact same place! Obviously you have a very good work ethic and that is why you feel guilty. I felt the same way and honestly, I don't think there is anyway to stop that. You need to do what you need to do. It is not your responsibility to fill those hours, it is the directors. Your main focus should be your family. If she needs you to stay late perhaps ask if you can come in later so you have time to do things at home. I found in daycare is was usually easier to find someone to fulfill the early hours than the late. So someone else may be willing to add an hour on in the morning even if they don't want that extra hour in the evening. If you do leave at your SCHEDULED time try not to stress about it. You really need to be asking for a lunch break. Even if you love your job, you need a break from the kids at some point during the day to just breathe.
    Anonymous

• It is illegal for you to work this many hours without breaks. You are being taken advantage of.

Find a new job, or contact your state's department of labor.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2010