How do you prepare for a surprise baby?

DH and I have a 2 year old daughter. We're expecting another blessing in May, but this time, we've decided to be surprised. I'm struggling trying to figure out how on earth to prepare for baby's arrival.

We're okay for most of the big things since we have them from DD. The biggest problem is clothing, especially from 0-3 months when I want to recover, not worry about baby supplies. We also don't want to stock up more than we need, even on gender neutral things, because we have everything we'd need for a girl already.

Any advice or personal stories?

(And yes, I posted this in the Newcomer's group earlier today.)

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 9:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• All three of ours were surprises! What I did was buy an outfit to take the baby home in, both a boy and a girl outfit, wash it and have it ready. The outfit we ended up not needing, we stuck it in their keepsake box so they can see what they would have worn if they were a boy/girl. We had a girl first so when our second was born, I went shopping about 1 month before my due date and bought some boy things, left the tags on and waited. We ended up having a boy so hubby washed them while I was in the hospital and they were ready when I got home. We are waiting for the birth of our third and since it would not let us see what it was, we are doing the same thing. I have some things on hand, tags on, and waiting. We can pick up things after we are home! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• buy white and send mom or mil out the day after baby is here to buy pink or blue.
    Anonymous

• When my own were born they were all surprises. Dr's only did ultra sounds for emergencies then and never told anything about sex. I guess we just bought a lot of neutrals. I didn't have my baby showers until after they were born. My Mother was adamant it was bad luck. Well, it may have been bad luck to do it before the birth but it sure worked out nicely after because I recieved all gender specific things. 0-3 months mine lived in gowns or sleeps all the time anyway except for coming home from the hospital and going to church.. I don't think I helped much. Sorry.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• You buy neutral stuff. Or you wait tell the baby is born to buy stuff .

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i get your dilemma because if you didn't already have all the pink, of course you could just go out and buy a bunch of white/yellow/green. but why spend the money on that stuff if you'll only be needing pink! i think it's great that you are going for a surprise, we considered it but my husband convinced me to find out the sex (if we can). if you have a close friend or family member, i would just buy like 3 or 4 gender neutral things, then send that person out asap to buy some blue if baby happens to be a boy. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Back in my day of having babies late 70's early 80's every budy had to wait tell the baby was born to know what the sex was. We just waited to buy a lot of stuff tell after the birth.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If it is a girl, obviously you are all set. I'd buy a few "boy" things, just in case, especially an outfit for coming home from the hospital. If you keep the receipts you can always exchange them later. If it is a boy you will have the few outfits you bought until you can get out and about and buy more. In the meantime, when you are home with just the family, I guarantee your son's penis won't fall off if he has to sleep in pink pajamas one night.......LOL!
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Well, in May you won't need a terrible lot of stuff - I'd make sure you have a decent supply of white/neutral onesies, and blankets, and a few gender specific things for going out (if you want/need to go out). But it'll be warm enough you won't need a ton of clothes. There's no harm in having a few neutral/boy things for just in case. I had a girl, found out I was having a boy, bought a few boy things and a few more neutral things (1st was a surprise), and went with the flow - she ended up being a girl, so we put the boy things away. My last child was a boy after having all girls - we knew it, but still only had a few boy things plus the neutrals. We used some of the less girly pink things for around the house - onesies, sleepers, blankets, bibs, etc - just didn't take any pictures when he was wearing pink! Shoot, he's almost 3 and still wears the occasional pink footie jammies or t-shirt!
    Anonymous

• white gerber onesies and animal printed blankets. May marks the beginning of garage sale season, so you (or someone in your family) should be able to hit up a few good sales and stock up on gendered clothing. Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Noone wants to dress their child in NEUREAL clothes.

The first few days when people come to visit Im sure they will bring you BOY items as gifts- but I would just pick up a weeks worth of boys pjs & keep the tags on them until after the delivery. If its a boy your set, if its a girl your set & have some stuff to return when your done healing! :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010