My youngest son, Aidan, has eczema. I have gotten it under control, but just recently he started scratching his bottom...and now there is a rash again. I am using the creams from the doctors....but he still scratches, and it is not going away....any advice?

LuckyMamma228

Asked by LuckyMamma228 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My daughter has eczema too. The ONLY thing we have found to moisturize her skin and NOT burn her is actually called udder cream. Not the kind you can find at pharmacies that is sold in a black and white "cow print" bottle, but actual stuff from the farm supply store. It is used on cow udders. Not bag balm...that stuff is vaseline-like in consistency. Udder cream is more lotion-like and though it is lightly scented, it has never hurt her (Eucerin cream did) and keeps her skin well hydrated. HTH.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• vaseline
    cornfed.23.16

Answer by cornfed.23.16 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• or aquafor but check with doctor first
    cornfed.23.16

• Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis Treatments for Children
    Discusses treatments for children, including the use of lubricants, steroid creams, bathing and information about preventing flare ups.
    www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/TreatmentGuides/eczema.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I slop it up with vaseline as soon as she starts scratching but if it is inflammed and red, I soak her in the tub in oatmeal bath. That was a better remedy when it was irritated because the cream from the doctor burned the open skin.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I swear by the products here:
    http://www.rainiersoapworks.com/eczema_care.htm

My mother-in-law used them for her eczema and I used them when my son had something that seemed to be that. It helped super SUPER quick.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Shea Butter. But make sure that it is not diluted with mineral oil. Mineral oil & vaseline coat the skin so that nothing gets through. Put a cracker in mineral oil & it will stay hard. Jordan Essentials sells a shea body butter that is free of mineral oil. She butter has natural anti-inflammatory & cell rejuvenation properties.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Bummy Butter from a store called Bath Junkie. It is actually for diaper rash but I need glasses and thought it said BUNNY butter and that it would make my son's skin soft as a bunny??? I know...it doesn't make sense but I was in a hurry. It turns out that the label actually says you CAN put it all over for dry skin and eczema. It works really well and lasts a long time.
    melwissa

Answer by melwissa at 2:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Try a natural approach-peel a banana and rub the inside of the peel on the eczema. Do this twice a day for a week and watch the eczema go away and not return. I know it sounds crazy-but I know someone personally that used this remedy, and it worked!
    boysmom67

Answer by boysmom67 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I know of an excellent lotion for eczema--many times better than the Eucerin doctors prescribe. Clinical studies prove it. Send me a message if you want to know about it. I get it direct from the company and would be glad to help you.
    MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 4:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008