Jewellery's a sin?

Really? I red this in another post a while back and it's just been sitting in the back of my head it's naggin. How can people teach that jewellery is a sin? Where in the bible does it say that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are two separate verses in the New Testament that, at first glance, appear to teach against wearing jewelry. The first is 1 Pet 3:3 which reads,

“Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel…”

The second and very similar verse is 1 Tim 2:9 that says,

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array…”

However what people don't take into account is the meaning behind this statement and the passage as a whole the passage in Timothy was talking much of the manner in which people worship, and their motives in doing so. There is nothing wrong with wearing jewelry, and making yourself look pretty, however we should be more concerned with our inward appearance then the outward.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 10:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have been to a church that taught that - THANKFULLY I left there. I would be SCREWED - I love jewelry!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• This comment must come from an extemeist...Stay far & clear of the type. :)
    Anonymous

• I believe it's SDA that teaches something like that. But if my knowledge is correct it's not the Jewelry itself that is sinful, it's the reasons you are wearing it. There isn't anything wrong with a wedding ring, even though it's jewelry... The idea is that you are wearing the Jewelry for prideful and vane reasons... However, if you aren't a member of that church, don't worry about it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• sorry about the mis-spelling. I'm typing way to quick. I meant extremest.

Anonymous

• Not sinful to me. I don't happen to wear much of it myself for the reason that I never have gotten used to it. I think that it is pretty, but is annoying to me since I am not accustomed to it. Which is a crying shame because I have some lovely pieces that I inhereted from my mother and grandmother. The only jewelry that I wear at all times is my wedding ring and a ring that my husband gave to me that belonged to his mother. Once again though, this is not for any religious reason, simply a matter of personal comfort.
    Anonymous

• I can understand why a truly religious person would feel no need for jewelry. Not so sure it's a "sin"

it all comes down to being vain and showing off. Vanity is a sin.

Does someone really need that $5000 diamond on their finger? or that $2000 necklace? nope, just showing off that they can afford it.

I hope I shed a little light on what you were asking unlike the others who just bashed the religions/denominations that think it is a sin.
    Anonymous

• No in SDA it is the jewellery that is the sin. They even have some leaders to teach agianst a wedding band, the church has no official stance for or agianst jewellery but do encourage if a wedding band is to be worn that it be a plain band.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• rhanford - do you have any actual dealings with SDA? every single one I know wears wedding bands, and even some small chains and such. please don't preach against a religion unless you know the real details of it.
    Anonymous

• I am a second generation SDA raised in the school and church my whole life.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010