Honestly need help please - I have no idea where to begin!

I have always wanted to write an auto-biography. I have no idea where to begin. I actually would love to tell someone my story and have them write it.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this or where to begin? I have been trying to do this for years and figure now is as good a time as any. Please help!

RutterMama

Asked by RutterMama at 9:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• COULD TAKE A WRITING COURSE TO HELP AND ASK THE INSTRUCTOR WHAT HE THINKS GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Answered at 9:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 by: ohio4
    COULD TAKE A WRITING COURSE TO HELP AND ASK THE INSTRUCTOR WHAT HE THINKS GOOD LUCK

I appreciate that. But taking any courses is not an option. I have had writing classes in college and going back right now is not feasible for my family right now.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Start with your birth. Gloss over the boring parts and focus on the most meaningful moments of your life.

OR

Start off with THE most meaningful moment of your life so far, describe your life building up to it, and then explain how your life has changed because of it.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'm a writer. I have an MFA in writing and I publish and Iteach writing in universities. A lot of people want to write their memoirs or have a ghost writer put it together for them. Do you plan to do this because you want to publish it OR do you want to do this to have a recorded history for your family?

If you wish to publish it one day, a simple chronology is not going to cut it. First day, second day, third day lists are boring. Successful memoirs have a purpose. The reason for telling the story is just as compelling as the story itself.

I worked with a wonderful poet-- Cathy Smith Bowers-- who discussed how to get writing. She suggests starting with an image from your life that is so overwhelmingly powerful, no one could ever forget it. Write from that image and when ever your writing goes sour or dead, go back to the image and pull from it more.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Tips:

Do not go on craigslist and try to hire a ghost writer and offer a % of the published work-- real ghost writers don't work like that.

Do not hire someone to ghost write for you if you have not seen their published work. Not just a blog they keep. Real published work.

A ghost writer is usually paid about $10-$25,000 for a full length memoir. That includes editing. A copyeditor is usually paid $2 per page.

To secure an agent, you need at least 100 finished pages of a manuscript. A memoir is often 250 pages. Agents take a % of your profits.

Memoir is HOT right now. It is one of the few things really selling.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have an image that is VERY overwhelmingly powerful to begin from. And yes, I would like to publish.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Community colleges offer writing classes; take a couple

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Answered at 7:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 by: rkoloms
    Community colleges offer writing classes; take a couple

Not an option at the moment as previously stated. And I had writing classes when I was in college. But that was years ago.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2010