Is this a good lunch for kids?

I have 3 children ages 6 and under....

For lunch today - I gave them Beef Ravioli, Spinach leaves to dip in Ranch, Grapes/Apple mix, and Yogurt/One got stick of string cheese. One got YooHoo to drink, one wanted water, and one got grape juice.

I was told that all I do it feed them junk all the time.... THIS is an example of what I feed them everyday. Yes, on Friday we have Pizza day and sometimes they get McDonalds (once every 2 weeks or so).

For dinner they got Broccoli for one, Chicken and Noodles, Peas, Grapes. Waterfor one, one got milk, and one got sunny D.

Your thoughts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you know you are feeding them healthy, then ignore the nasty comments. I think people care way too much about what others think. I have given my boys a cut up apple, cheese cubes and pretzles for dinner before. It is healthy and they love it. Big deal. I have also let them have a popsicle for breakfast lol. They are kids, and it is not a perfect world. Stop being hard on yourself.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing a good job to me.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP here: Thanks! DH couldn't tell me what was wrong with the meal today. He says I give them pizza everyday and they never get fruits and veggies.... Ummm....they get a fruit with lunch EVERYDAY and veggies with dinner EVERY NIGHT. Bfast varies. IDK. I thought I was doing fine too. DH is rarely here during meals, but I hate when he makes assupmtions that he believes are fact. UGH!!
    Anonymous

• The only thing that I could see wrong is if the same child who got grape juice for lunch is the same one who got Sunny D for dinner. You might want to offer water or milk (if there are no allergies) for that child. Other than that I think it sounds good.

Anonymous

• Sounds good to me too. Keep up the good work! =)
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 10:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• sounds good to me!

but you have the ones that think anything premade/processed is bad and they will always bitch.

Anonymous

• I'd skip the sunny d and offer real orange juice.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Op again: The youngest got the grape juice for lunch and milk for dinner
    THe one that got milk for lunch got the Sunny D for dinner.

Oh and yes the Beef Ravioli's were Chef Boyardee, but ironically enough DH bought them. I am so confused ;-)
    Anonymous

• Mostly healthy. I think you do have to remember that the ravioli will be chocked full of sodium which isn't good, unless you specifically buy the lower sodium. In that respect it isn't a lot different than pizza. The yoo hoo is higher in calories around 110 for the box kind, but not terrible if they don't drink it all the time. Juice is not horrible but not really great either it's higher in sugar.

None of this is bad in moderation. Our dietitian explained that if they are eating fruits or vegetables it's all good because they are on the same tier of the pyramid. If you had a kid that didn't like veg pack them with fruit until they come around.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• ha ha....thats a lot better than what i do....i wish i was better at meal planning and all of that. if your DH has such a problem with it, then he needs to have actual ideas of how to improve it rather than just saying you can do better. you sound like someone who would take advice if he actually gave it rather than criticism.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010