14 yo sister driving me up the wall!

We are having huge disagreements over texting and the limits. Where do you draw the line when it comes to texting and teens? she has sent over 1200 texts in the last month?! Where do I draw the line? Limit the number of texts she can send or just block it completely?!

And am I unreasonable to set a time limit to when she can use her phone during a school day? there is an option in the parental controls on smart limits- and I have it set for 8:30am-2:00 pm (school hours) when she can only call/text myself, hubby, and her mother.

bexjack

Asked by bexjack at 10:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If you are paying the bill then you limit it how you seem fit. As far as school goes, there is no reason for her to be calling/texting friends anyway so I agree with your limits on that. If she continues to argue and gets disrespectful then I would either take it away or set the controls so she can only call you, your hubby and your mom.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• if you have unlimited texting on the plan I wouldn't worry about how many she sends/ receives, sometimes they send one or two word messages plus she cannot control how many she receives. The time control I think is great- keeps her from texting during school. If you haven't already I would also set a time at night it has to be turned off at, and what ever other time limits you think are needed, like not while doing homework, during dinner, etc....
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We have a 14 year old. When she comes home from school, she surrenders her phone until her homework is completed. We have not had to limit texting hours; her phone goes on the charger at 9 on school nights.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My daughter is also 14 and she is VERY responsible and I dont have any problems out of her (thank God!) So, I don't have a time limit on her phone calls except she has to be off her phone and it put on the charger at 11pm because thats her bed time. I have unlimited text for her so I dont have to worry about any high bills. So I guess I would make a decision as to what you want to do with your daughter-you can either get her unlimited texting and make her pay you for the rediculous amount of texting that she has already done or you can take the texting totally off her phone permitely and still make her pay for the existing texts.

Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2010