Craft Time.

How can I get my 2yr old daughter into sitting down and doing some arts&crafts with me? I have a big bag full of craft stuff:pom poms, feathers, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, glitter glue, construction paper, crayons, and foam shapes and animals. Any ideas on how to get her interested in sitting down and making things with me?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Or is this sort of stuff perhaps out of her age range? Should I maybe put that stuff off til she is 3 or 4?
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I teach 2 year old preschool group and we do an art project everyday. The key is to keep it simple and fun. Last week we did painting with ice cubes. You put a Popsicle stick in an ice tray filled with water. Freeze it and when it is done pop out the ice cube. Let it sit out for about 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle some powdered paint on a piece of paper and let her use the ice cube pop to move around the paper. As the ice cube is melting, the water will mix with the powdered paint and make a thin paint. We also used shaving cream as finger paint and we created our own soap paint. To make your own soap paint, shave a bar of Dove soap (or any other white soap), mix with water and a drop of colored washable paint. Let it sit for a minute to thicken and you have some very washable, great smelling paint! I have tons more ideas for art with 2 year olds. If you need any more suggestions, just pm me.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 2 year old son. He really likes the foamy stickers that are in different shapes. We make pictures of them maybe once a week. It is hard to get him to concentrate for too long, however.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• At 2 y/o my son's attention span was so short that IF I had everything together on the table, the "project" would be over in 2 mins, and time for clean up, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My daughter is 20 mo. and I just keep it simple. Stickers are a big favorite...I just keep a basket full of stickers and a couple of little books around...pull the basket out...she plays and when she's done, I just shove it all back in there. Crayons and markers are a lot of fun for her too. Bubbles are a lot of fun too....the Gymboree brand bubbles are the BEST!!! They float in the air for so long that you can literally fill your entire livingroom with bubbles in a matter of minutes. Plus, they don't pop when they hit the floor or furniture so they'll just hang around forever. My daughter and I go around popping them and practice our counting as we do it. I also scrapbook so any pieces of paper, die cuts, etc. I don't use go into a basket for her. I'll let her have a glue stick and a piece of construction paper and she'll glue and stick. Finger paints are fun too....great activity in the bathtub right before bath tim
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010