Were you homeschooled?

I am planning on homeschooling my daughter, now 2, through high school. I am looking to get some feed back from people who were homeschooled. Did you enjoy it? Do you feel like you missed out on the high school fun? What did your days consist of? Do you plan on homeschooling your own children, why or why not? Did you follow a cirriculum or was it more eclectic?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think I even knew what homeschooling was until I was in high school lol. Never knew anybody who was homeschooled until about a year ago.
    Anonymous

• I think that it could be okay as long as your provide her plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of other social opportunities....possibly even ones where other kids are homeschooled so she doesn't feel left out.
    Anonymous

• DH was home schooled for religious reasons. His mom followed a text she purchased from the church. He was very unhappy and did not learn much. He was sent back to regular school. She really didn't have the tools or the time to work with him. There are too many children in the family-- he's the oldest of 7-- and it was an unreasonable burden on her.

We will homeschool if we stay in Atlanta (due to Dh's job) because the schools here are awful. I have a masters and have worked in education from 3 yr olds to university. We have very different circumstances. I want to join a home school co-op group for activities and group lessons. I want to work with other qualified parents to trade off subjects and teaching days.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I was not home schooled, but I sure wish I had been. I HATED school because I was too bored. I am planning on home schooling my dd if I can. (She is beyond social butterfly!) And I have picked up books that have been on sale at various book stores. I have two whole books of science experiments. I have books on teaching her how to read. I have books on teaching her math. I have a book about crafts. You name it, and I most likely have it.
    What I have found is that you can't make a child learn unless they want to. Go with what the child is interested in at the time. And with as young as your child is, start with the basics during play time. What color is this? What shape is that? Use play time as a teachable time.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I know of quite a few people who were homeschooled until they reached high school. My cousin homeschooled his kids through high school and they followed a curriculum set by the state education board. When they finished high school they did receive their diplomas. I myself wasn't homeschooled though, and I do plan on sending my child to school. (or children God willing in the future)
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I was homeschooled all the way through school and I enjoyed it very much. I felt like I was able to do far more than the average child because I had a more flexible schedule. My husband was homeschooled and he had a good experience as well. We are planning on homeschooling our children :)
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010