Gettin induced Friday, have a few questions?

I am getting induced friday because i am over due and my doctor said that will come in she will break my water then start me on pitocin, well im REALLLY REALLLY nervous now that its so close and i was wondering how getting your water broke feels and if u were induced how long your labor was and did u have a good experience with it or bad? Also i am dilated to a 2 but my cervix is still 50% softened only, i was told bya couple ppl that once u are dilated u cant take baths cause it could cause infection. Is this true? I was going to ask my dr but i forgot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Once you have the IV in place you will not be able to get into the tub. I had pitocin with my son when my water was broken so I didn't really feel it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I didnt take baths JUST INCASE. I was induced both pregnancies. My first I went in at 6am had him at 6:19, and my 2nd I went in at 9am and had my daughter at 5:20pm. I was only in hard labor about 2-3 hours? maybe... and when I delivered they were out within 3-4 pushes. It was great, I hear alot of people say getting induced means more pain, its uncomfy but it's not unbearable. And I have nothing to compare to, but it wasnt bad for me. Good Luck!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 10:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My water broke on its own at 36w 6d, however, I had to put on Pitocin as nothing was happening. From the time my water broke until I had my son was 36 hours. Even with Pitocin it was very slow. I was at 3cm and 5 cm for what seemed like days! But from 5-10 was like in an hour! I had an epidural, although it didn't completely work. I pushed for 10 minutes, if that, so it wasn't too bad!

I went into the jet tub at the hospital for about an hour. I don't know anything about having an infection if taking a bath. I'd ask your doctor.

Good luck to you and Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• I was induced - it was fine. I went in about 6:45 in the morning.

They started me with a "ripening cream," for a few hours got me a little dilated, and then broke my water. The actual breaking didn't feel that special (other than all warm and wet) but the hurting contractions started right after that.

About an hour or two later they started me on the pitocin drip.

Luckily, when you're induced they let you get an epidural (if that's the rout you're going) just about as early as you want, so you don't have to wait through lots of pain and getting to a certain level of dilation first. I don't even remember if I got it before or after the pitocin drip started...but I remember I spent most of the day resting, feeling comfy, and watching mythbusters.

I was ready to push about 8 pm, but did a "rest and descend" for an hour first, pushed for about an hour and had my baby in my arms by 10:30.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Well..... if you werent planning on getting an epidural, you should consider it at this point. Pitocin makes your contractions absolutely unbearable. Not to scare you, but youre almost assured to get an epidural after pitocin. Getting your water broken doesnt feel like much other than water coming out of you, and depending on when they actually break your water (before or after your epi) you may not even feel it.
    I was induced because i was overdue, and it took me 10 hours from when they started pitocin to when i had the baby.
    I have mixed feelings about being induced. I dont like epidurals, and youre just plain not able to do it without if you are given pitocin.
    Ask the doctor about cervadil (sp?) if you were hoping to go natural.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i got induced at midnight and got my epidural at 6am because i couldn;t sleep the whole night and if she was going to come and i would have any energy to push i needed to rest. but my water broke and then being dilated went pretty quickly. i had her at 5:36pm and i pushed for a halfhour. it was my first so i have no idea what it would be like other wise but it was just one on top of another those contractions. no rest. but with the epidural it was better. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Everyone I know, including myself, who has been scheduled to be induced went into labor a day or two before the scheduled date. I was scheduled to be enduced at 8am on June 13th 2009...I went into labor at 2am June 13th 2009. Lol...I think it's the excitement, and the nervousness....the stress...you just go into labor on your own...thats how it has happened with everyone I know...like I said...even me...I don't know anyone who has been induced...all I can tell you is that I had my water broken with both of my pregnancies...I went into labor on my own, but my water never broke on it's own..and it didn't hurt or anything...you just feel a big gush...that's all...no big deal...as far as the taking baths thing...I'm not sure...good luck and congrats
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• oh the baths - i heard you cant take a bath after your water breaking, but nothing about dilation.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would ask them to wait one hour after breaking your water to start the pict. The reason I say this is usually when your water breaks your body will release the hormones needed to start your own contractions and dilate on your own. When my water broke my contractions picked up on their own and were better than the induced ones.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Oh yeah and you can take a bath until your water breaks.
    truealaskanmom