What can I do for a Breast Yeast infection?

I am breastfeeding my son, who is 10 weeks old. My nipple has become blistered, cracked and bleeding. I have figured out this is a breast yeast infection, and saw that I can use lotrimin on it until I get to a Dr. However, I don't have any right now, do you know of anything else that might help until I can make an appointment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Health

• I use a product by Solaray called Yeast Cleanse for yeast infections...it has Caprylic Acid and Pau D Arco in it, known for their yeast fighting properties...you can order online from Super Supplements if you can't find it in your local health food store.
    Anonymous

• My nipples cracked and bleed bc I had THRUSH. Check your sons mouth and see if there is WHITE "fuzz" in his cheek or on his tounge.
    I had noticed my sons tounge a fewdays after my left nipple cracked and bled.. but I didnt think to put the two of them together! :)

Id make the appt right away! It will only get worse!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• For a little relief, you can put plain yogurt on your breasts, it's messy, but the probiotics will help. You can find probiotic powders, tablets and capsules at any pharmacy (they are more concentrated than a serving of yogurt) Cut out as much sugar as you can from your diet, and make sure you are changing your nursing pads and your bra often. If you use cloth nursing pads, wash them in hot water with some white vinegar added to kill the yeast. Boiling them is also an option. There is something called genetian violet that works wonders for lots of women to get rid of thrush (yeast). It's not prescription, but you will probably have to ask the pharmacist to order it, or find it in a natural health foods type store. If you don't treat yourself AND the baby, you will likely just pass it back and forth, so once you get something for yourself, talk to your pediatrician too..
    Anonymous

• My sister just went through thrush while breastfeeding her newborn. He didn't have any symptoms, but she was in terrible pain from it. Her doctor gave her some prescription cream to put on herself, and then her baby's doctor prescribed some kind of mouthwash that she has to put on a Q-tip and swab his mouth with. Even though he didn't have any problems, she is using both treatments because they said he could just give it back to her by nursing.
    Anonymous

• yogurt, but u should really go to a dr. yeast is a fungus and ur child can get thrush from it
    Anonymous

• Get a good (refrigerated) probiotic powder. Sprinkle in on your breasts before nursing (it won't hurt the baby). After nursing, rub breast milk on your nipples, let them air dry, and sprinkle more probiotic powder on them.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I suffered from recurring yeast infections for 4 months to the point my doctor would not prescribe diflucan anymore, so I had to do something else as my baby would not take a bottle. I was desparate, the pain is unbelievable and so I read everything I could find and in the end, I bought Global Health Trax ThreeLac Probiotic dietary supplement and then added Oxygen elements as the probiotic just wasn't doing it alone.....plus I used Gentian VIolet at night (see previous post and note that it stains so be careful). I also tried to avoid sugar as much as I could and after two weeks(taking supplement 3 times a day) it was completely gone for the first time since I had my baby. I now take the probiotic with the oxygen elements(also by Global health Trax) everynight to keep it from coming back. I admit that it is not cheap but to get rid of the pain it is worth it. By the way, you can purchase all of this stuff on amazon.com
    BriNAddymom

Answer by BriNAddymom at 11:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010