Any ideas or ways to cope with a sensory processing disorder?

My four year old daughter has the sensory seeking (sensory processing disorder). I have such a hard time disaplining her. Along with many other issues. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that would possibly have the same situation and could offer some helpful hints. She is very rough moves way too fast. We try to get her to slow down but that doesn't work. I am just at a loss.

lynnski

Asked by lynnski at 11:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The therapist can teach you how to help her at home; just ask!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I can totally understand the problem. We suspect our almost 3 yr old son also has a sensory issue. He too is a sensory seeker. We're currently waiting on an OT evaluation and I'm hoping the therapist will be able to help. He's endlessly crashing into other kids and things.. Timeouts have proven to be useless.. One of his current therapists (he is also speech delayed) has recommended the book "The Out of Sync Child". She says is very good. I haven't read it yet but I trust her judgement so you might want to pick it up. SInce you know she has a sensory disorder, is your school system providing services? They should be able to provide guidance on discipline as well.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• For what it's worth, one thing I've found helps with my son is to give him time during the day when he can race around to his hearts content. I try to do it outside whenever or I can where he can't hurt himself or anyone else but in lousy weather, we will do laps around the kitchen (whatever works..) Giving her an outlet might help.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son is also sensory seeking. When he gets over-excited, we try to notice and give him something to do - manipulating play-doh or carrying/pushing something heavy work well in a classroom, at home we often get outdoors and run around. If we don't notice soon enough, he gets a time out. Since there is little sensory input with this, he hates it. It can be pretty short, as long as he actually sits still and is left completely alone. Then, he gets a big bear hug (one of his favorite sensory activities). Every child is different, so do whatever works. Just remember that for sensory seeking kids, it's often activity that calms them down.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 6:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010