What do you do when you 3 year old refuses to go to potty ??

My lil girl who will be 3 next week will not go to potty so she is still waring pull ups

WHAT DO I DO??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• wait until she's actually ready to potty train
    Anonymous

• This is something that I had to come to terms with. You can not control your childs bladder. Period. and, that's the point that she's trying to make. Even though it's EXTREMELY frustrating, you have to let it go. I would highly highly recommend losing the pull ups altogether. What's the worst thing that could happen? She might pee or poop her pants. This is much more affective in toilet training then anything you can say or do. Plus, in all honesty, you can't expect to avoid this unpleasantness when potty training. Contrary to what the makers of pull ups would want you to believe. I'm not big into consumerism. ( and I"m a terrible speller if you haven't noticed hehe) BUt remember back way before pull ups, kids were potty trained much earlier then now. The options where pee in the toilet or pee your pants. You don't have to be cold about it. It took my son 3weeks with this theory. She will pee her pants, so what? Pack 8 pairs.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 12:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I agree with losing the pull ups - also get a small toy to have her play with only when she is on the potty - and lots of positive reinforcement when she goes in the potty. My son trained in a couple weeks in underpants, dd took over a year b/c I kept her in pull ups - they are just diapers that cost twice as much :)
    jtchil

Answer by jtchil at 1:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yep, get rid of the pull ups and stay home for a couple of days so you can deal with the accidents.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Did she used to go potty, or is she suddenly refusing? Or has she just been resistant to using the potty? Anon, most 3 year olds are ready to potty train. Joy's got it right -plan for accidents. Your kid doesn't enjoy pissing all over her car seat! She just needs help learning her signals, and the best way is immediate feedback via wet pants that spread everywhere, sadly! Try to keep your cool, and be ready to change for a few days.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son will be 3 in APril and we're just starting the potty training thing.. Our success has been very limited but we've made some progress. One suggestion we've been given is to put regular underwear on first then the pullup. This allows the child to feel wet while limiting the mop up efforts.. Also, make sure your child is ready. Some pediatricians recommend waiting until 3 to do potty training. Some kids simply aren't ready until they're older.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Seriously?? This is a no brainer. Lose the pull ups!! Why would she go in the potty if she is wearing them?
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010