bREAStfEEdiNG PROblEM

My son from day one hard a slightly hard time breastfeeding, me being a new mom, not really knowing how to get him to latch on right was somewhat of a problem. But now he just rejects it all together. I would switch on and off from breast to bottle, but i didn't give him a bottle as much. Mainly cause i didn't want to. I really wanted to breastfeed. Don't ask me why, i just did. But now he cries when i try to make him latch on and i have to bounce him everytime just to trick him into eating. My sister told me to just give up cause if he doesn't want it, then he doesn't want it. Not much i can do. It's been maybe 2 days, and i still try to breastfeed him, but he is not giving in. So i do and just give him a bottle( I don't wanna starve him). I have little to no milk. But i hate to think that I just have to give up.

AdRiANS_MOMMi09

Asked by AdRiANS_MOMMi09 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go see a lactation consultant tomorrow. If breastfeeding is somrething you really want to do stop giving the baby a bottle. Hell eventually get hungry enough to accept the breat!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't give up. When he gets hungry enough, and that should be real soon, he'll latch on for dear life! Good luck.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• try giving him a sippy instead of a bottle. he'll probably hate that and then he may start latching for you. if you want to bf don't give up...you can try to get him to latch everytime you feed him. if he doesn't give him a sippy so you know he's eating. yuo can try the sugar water on the breast too to try to get him latch
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Two days? Pish. Nothing.

Your sister would probably tell you to put him in a wheelchair because he falls the first couple of times he tries to walk, too. Thart's the equivalent here.

You want him on the breast? The BOTTLES are what you give up on. Toss 'em. He'll be pissy about if fore a bit. Thats' fine. Your job isn't to make him happy and never will be.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for lots of help. And check out kellymom.com for a great article on getting baby back ont he breast...search that site for back to breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Again thanks for the advice, but i live with my parents.
    So him crying a lot isn't something that i can let happen for to long.
    Which is why when he started having a hard time i had to give in with the bottle.
    But you guys are right giving him the bottle is what isn't helping him latch on.
    But how long til my milk just goes away completely(remember first time mom, ha ha)
    AdRiANS_MOMMi09

Answer by AdRiANS_MOMMi09 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Breastfeeding is not easy but it is best for your baby and you can do it if you set your mind to it. Get some help. You'll get there!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It takes months to dry up. It will take one day of stubbornness on your part to get baby on the breast.. And your family can deal with one day. If they can't you'd better move because this is NOTHING compared to when teething starts. They'll want to toss you both on the street at that point!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I will start up again on the breast, will it really only take a day?
    And yes, moving out in the next couple of months,
    but practically being a single mother makes it hard to move out.
    AdRiANS_MOMMi09

Answer by AdRiANS_MOMMi09 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• No more bottles; you need to rebuild your supply and your bond with your baby.

This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

I LOVE the wheelchair analogy!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/ has more great advice for latching problems. Baby's cry when there is a problem. Your family will survive. Your priority is you and your baby. They are adults and can handle it.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2010