Does being anemic during pregnancy effect breastmilk production?

I have been diagnosed with anemia during this pregnancy. I breast fed my first son and was planning on doing it with my next one. However, I am worried I won't produce enough milk. I have lost 13lbs. during the pregnancy and have only gained 7 back. And the doctors have told me I still have to gain 10lbs. extra to be able to breast feed. Has anyone gone through something like this? And if so, what did you do?
Mind you I only have 2 more months to go!

JenStar28

Asked by JenStar28 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No i was anemic too and i breast fed fine, and still am breast feeding fine... its natural to have ups and downs but being anemic shouldn't matter.. just take iron supplements.. and i don't think that your loosing weight is that big of a problem... women gain and lose during the pregnancy it just depends on the person.. don't stress.. just relax and eat healthy and if you don't put on weight it isn't that big of a deal.. the baby is getting everything he/she needs
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Dunno where the docs got the weight gain info...but that's not true.

Relax. You're fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I was incredibly anemic before, during and after my pregnancy. It was so bad that I had to have weekly iron infusions, yet breastfeeding was never an issue, And gdiamante is right...there are no "rules" to being a certain weight to breastfeed. There were a few women in my BF support groups that were terribly thin and still able to nurse. You'll be fine!
    LostFan815

Answer by LostFan815 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i dont think so. i wzs anemic during pregnancy, and produced loads of milk. i could feed the baby then sit and pump 12oz in less than 10 min. it was a little rediculous.

my sister lost weight, and had trouble gaining any back, and had just as much milk as i did.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Here is a great listing of iron-rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron Be sure to include a vitamin C source with your iron source (the C increases the absorbtion of the iron)

Avoid eating dairy, it leaches iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010