Is it wrong to seriously consider changing my daughters middle name?

She is 1 1/2 yrs old. Has 2 middle names. Each perent chose 1 middle name inmemory of a lost loved one. Her father stepped out of her life and has absolutly no intentions on being a parent to her. Im thinking about cutting down to just 1 middle name. She already has my last name cuz he wouldnt let her have his name. Is it crazy of me to consider doing this to her?

CindyB969

Asked by CindyB969 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your child is just starting to figure out who she is. She has a name that was given to her at birth. Done. It doesn't matter who gave it to her. It's okay to be pissed off at the sperm donor, but don't darg your dear baby into it.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 12:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It's not free to change a baby's name you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• .....now that being said, she can always choose to remove the name herself when she's old enough and he has continued to be a dead beat dad.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 12:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I don't really think it's wrong, but you could just leave it and don't use it. It would only be on her birth certificate right? IDK I just think changing it would be very permanent, what if he comes back around or something?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think you should just leave it personally. It was a part of her life at birth and it may be something she wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i've thought about changing my son's last name. I recently got married and i really want my son to have our name too. His "sperm donor" would have to sign for it though...which i'm sure he would have no problem at all cause he would be off the hook for child support...i'm not gonna let him off that easy though. He doesn't even have his last name though, he has my maiden name and i hate it. I figure i will just let him decide what he wants to do when he gets older. He will more than likely want to keep my maiden name since thats what he has had but if he wants to add on our last name then that will be fine and we wont need my ex's signature to do it and we wont need his child support anymore.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• ...i think he may want our last name because he only knows my husband as his father. He doesnt see his real dad. Who knows how things will work out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2010