Took in pregnant cat need advice asap!

Hel
I Had cats in the past while i was young

i am taking her to the humaine soceity and i am going to be her foster to her and her kittens, and im taking her also to the vet i have seen her around here when recent neighbors moved in around 2 months ago, and they moved out without her i seen her earlier in dec outside and she came to my house screaming outside my door! i opened the door i thought it was a cat fight or somthing we have many strays around here! she runs right in and a black cat was trying to chase her i kicked him out of my house and she lays down and starts PURRRING
she is kind and is loveable she let me pet her belly i am thinking she is around 7-8 weeks i feel the little ones in there i felt them even kick and move around but like i said i am not sure until i take her to the humaine soceity she said she will take a look at her and even though i have cancer this little one came to me for help ,

LexsiesMommy

Asked by LexsiesMommy at 1:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Pets

• i have helped birth two litters of kittens and both times the mommy came to me when they started. i basically put down some old towels in the closet and left the door barely cracked just enough for her to get out if she needed to. i also set her up with litter box and food and water. she will not want to leave for the first 2 to 3 days. you will know she is about to give birth when she starts panting and is a bit restless. this is the time where she will start to hide. i set everything up two weeks before hand and that way she knew where to go. if she starts in a place you dont want her to be if you can reach her you can still move her. most cats dont need any help but she may want to be comforted. she sound really sweet and if she is comfortable with you she wont mind if your there.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I had 2 prego kitties, just remember they can be very moody after giving birth. I don't think that you need to go to the humane society, they might try to abort the kittens. Set her up a big box with blankets, food water, and a litter box near by and make her feel safe. The walls of the box should be pretty high they like to give birth secluded they feel safer.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I am going there not giving her up i am taking her to the vet right after, ......right now she feels safe in my basement even though we let her up more so in the day she likes to go under my bed and in my room she is very kind,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• SHe may give birth under your bed if that is where she likes to go. Our cat was sweet until she had her kittens and then she beat the hell out of the other cats and the dog in the house, but after the babies were gone she was fine.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I dont have any other animals,

But i had my friends puppy here she was alright with him but it was only for a day, i usually dont have any animals but i could not let her stay ourside, poor little angel...

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Good luck, and be sure you can be around to help her during birth if needed, our cat got panicked at first and needed our help. It is weird when they give birth, but it is neat. Make sure she is well fed and watered so she can take good care of them early as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I will try and make her comfy as possible im going to introduce her into my bedroom closet instead of my bed, :)
    she goes downstairs to potty.
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• under my bed i mean*
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You might want to bring the litter box in there after they are born, she won't want to leave then and that can give her an infection. Under the bed sounds like a good spot, I would put a blanket you dont like under there, and tack a sheet you dont like to the bottom of the bed, there is blood and fluids so that way it isn't too messy.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• oh and make sure its a nice warm place. you could put a heating pad on low underthe towels too if you have one. momma will like that too.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010