Why is it that some moms refuse to pierce their daughters ears?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• i pierced my dd's ears when she was a baby and she never had problems with anything. We would get her earring that were made for little girls, they were really light. she's almost an adult now and her ears look great.
    Anonymous

• Because its not necessary, she is just fine without them....one day she will be able to ask for them...and I will say yes, and we will go have a mommy and daughter day....I look forward to this.

Why is it that some moms force their unwilling helpless daughter to have holes punched in her ears for looks?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Because I once heard a little baby girl getting her ears pierced in a Wal-Mart it was the single most depressing scream I have ever heard, and the jewler and the little girls mom laughed about it and were talking about how cute her ears looked. Plus how do you know your baby won't be allergic to metal? A lot of girls are and it can hurt like hell to wear earings when you are allergic to the metal in them. And my daughters don't need fake diamond earings to make them look pretty they are gorgeous just the way they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My answer is the same as the first anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• OP here, i only ask because a girl i knew in school got her ears pierced in the mall, she was 13 and her mom flipped out and grounded her. i never understood because my ears were pierced when i was 6mths old, so i was just wondering.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The only reason that we refused to pierce either of our girls ears when they were babies is for the very purpose that we would like our girls to decide for themselves when they are at an age to take care of them completely themselves and are capable of being careful enough with them so that they don't get infections and such. What a great opportunity for them to learn some responsability that if they choose to not accept the responsibility it affects only them. I don't expect everyone to have that view, yet when my husband and I talked about it together, this is how we both felt and what a blessing to have your spouse agree and back eachother up in those decisions. : )
    jhg374

Answer by jhg374 at 2:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i'm on the other side of this. i was pierced little too and i pierced my dd's ears when she was a few months old. Now that she's 14yo, she tells me thank goodness that i pierced her ears when she was little because she wouldnt be able to get it done because she says it looks like it hurt. I guess it just depends on the person. I have a relative that wont pierce. I dont think its bad either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

That instance could be religion.
    I know my MIL didnt get her ears pierced til last year when her mother died. They are Mormon and her mother didnt believe in damaging your body that way.
    You never know but when it comes to babies. I think you should wait til they want them dont force them.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 4:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I had issues with mine as a kid when I asked and got them so I decided that I would do my DD's young she was a little over a year, she didn't cry over the piercing, she got mad that we wouldn't let her grab the guns. I did it because it is harder to do when older and babies don't feel the same way that we do when older it is because their nervous system hasn't developed all the pain sensors. I understand those that wait I just wanted to do it young.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Because i dont like the idea of having it done without her asking for it, its not up to me to decide if she should have her ears pierced or not.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010