Sippy cups and potty training.......

My son is newly two and we've been working on potty training, he usually goes to bed with a sippy of milk (i brush his teeth), will I need to cut that out in order for no accidents and if so how long before bed do I cut it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't cut it out, and night-training takes a lot longer than day training. Especially if your son is a deep sleeper. It's good that he's doing well during the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• He shouldn't be going to bed with a sippy cup of milk unless you have figured out how to brush his teeth after his last sip before he goes to sleep and after every sip he takes through the night. So cut that out anyway. But you don't need to try night training right away. He shouldn't need drinks through the night but you may need to let him have water for awhile in order to phase out the milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I just reread your question and realized you may have meant he has a sippy of milk, then you brush his teeth, and then put him to bed. I first read it as you put him in his bed with milk. If you didn't mean that, disregard my post.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• my oldest DD was fully trained during the day at 19 months old. She took a sippy to bed if you are wanting him not to pee the bed then I say take it away, but I wouldn't worry about the night time yet cause some kids can't hold it at night until much older. My first potty trained at 19 months and took a sippy cup until she was I believe 2.5 years I only gave her water to bed though and shw ould pee the bed, but as soon as I got her off the sippy at bedtime she stll had accidents so I then had to cut her drinks down I stopped giving her drinks around 6:30 or 7 her bedtime is at 8. She is over 4.5 now and she will still wet the bed if she has had to much to drink before bed. My youngest just turned 2 last week she has been potty trained since she was 21 months old I started her cause she was staying dry at night. She wouldn't give up the bottle until about 18 months old. She took a bottle to bed until she was 13 months old
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• but once she got off that bottle she started staying dry at night so I started potty training so you don't have to give up the sippy yet have him get it through the day first then work on taking the cup away and to train at night cause it might be more hard for him if you potty train and take his cup away at night
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2010