When are you suppose to take toddler to the dentist?

and what do they do? my son hate anybody in a "doctor" suit so i'm really worried about taking him. we just got accepted for dental though and he just turned two.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some say start taking them at 6 months but I think that's too early, I took my son at about 2 years old, that reminds me he has a dentist appointment tomorrow.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Dentist will say around 4 but pediatric dentists say at the sign of the first tooth or 1 year old. My son is 2 and has been every 6 months since he was 1.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 2:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My dentist says age 3 or when they are able to sit still enough for the dental team to examine the teeth. We took my first daughter to my dentist when she was 3 1/2 for the first time and it did not go well, so the referred us to a pediatric dentist. She has gone to the ped. dentist ever since then and it's great because the whole place is set up for children. The staff is trained to work with kids and the chairs are smaller and there are tv's on the ceiling to distract them. My daughter's pediatric dentist recommends age 2 for the first visit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Professionals will say many different ages. Take him when you and/or him feel comfortable. BUT take him to a pediatric dentist. A normal dentist office isn't built for children so your son would probably feel intimidated. Normally, pediatric dentist offices are fun and full of colourful and educational things and the dentists are more energetic and upbeat.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 3:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Our family dentist said 18 months.

Definitely use a pediatric dentist for the next few year. You will probably have to pay a bit more out of pocket; it is worth every penny.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son went to the dentist at 15 months (He had some teeth by then) and she (1 person) "aimed" a toothbrush at his mouth. He opened, she shined a light in there. BTW he was sitting in my lap in the chair. We were there about 2 mins. Second appt at 21 months & 27 months, same thing. They are just trying to acclimate him to the office. The older your child is when you take them, the more fears they will have. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My boys went to their dentist as soon as they got their first tooth, per their dentist's request. she wants to see all her patients when their first tooth comes in.
    ambrown50201

Answer by ambrown50201 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2010