I'm at wit's end trying to get my daughter to sleep at night. Help?

For a little over two months now, she has not got a decent night's sleep. I have tried anything and everything I could possibly think of and then some. I've even went online and wrote out a long list and tried everything on there at least four times. The most I had to try my best to get her to go back to sleep was around 42 times in one night. One night, she cried for four and a half hours straight and I couldn't do a thing to settle her down.I have talked to her doctor about it and all she told me was to use some baby Tylenol and to be patient. She said that it might be because she's growing or hungry. I know it's not because she's hungry since she eats like a little piggy. She's six and a half months. What I'm looking for is some other tricks that other moms have used or some mature advice.

If you want call me a horrible mother and want to call C.P.S. on me for looking for help, sod off.

PyroDeerHunter

Asked by PyroDeerHunter at 3:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six and a half months is still quite young to be sleeping through the night; most babies don't do this on a regular basis until well past their first birthdays.
    Co-sleeping kept me from losing my mind! It was so easy for me to doze/sleep while my baby nursed at night.
    There are not any magical secrets here; one day your baby's stomach will be big enough to let her sleep through the night

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Co sleeping has been a life saver for me over the years, ive co slept with all 3 of mine to for various lenghts of time, my 15 month old is still with us in our bed and we are soon going to transition him out since I think he is finally ready for that.
    If you breastfeed her, its just SO easy to roll over and let her eat and then both of you just fall back to sleep and no one ever even had to get out of the bed! Its GREAT!!!!!

Also, sleeping through the night for a baby is much different than for an adult, I believe if your baby sleeps 6 hours that is considered sleeping through the night for them, they arent developmentally ready to sleep longer because they still need to eat frequently.

Good luck! Remember that this wont last forever, I know its hard but she is still a small baby, this will pass soon enough I promise!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Growth spurts and teething interrupt sleep at that age. Have you tried putting her in a sleep sack so she feels more secure, or having her bed in the room with you, or as rkoloms suggested -- co sleep? We use a sidecar approach to cosleeping so we will have more room when our baby gets bigger. We had a really rough night last night and it was cosleeping that saved the night.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I also wanted to mention that sleep cycles in babies are much shorter than in adults. It is not unusual for babies especially in the first year to wake 1-3 times a night...its quite normal. Even adults wake at night even if they may not remember doing so.

In my opinion, a lot of the sleep training methods backfire on a lot of parents and make the problem worse because many of them need that extra comfort at night, or they are having separation anxiety issues and CIO methods exacerbate the anxiety to epic levels. Sometimes all a baby wants and needs to go back to sleep is a body to sleep next to, KWIM? It's like when a child falls down and the will scream their head off even after the pain has subsided until they are being hugged by their mother or father.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I am glad to see other people suggest co-sleeping, my daughter had colic and the only way she would sleep was to be next to me, I have a baby rail on my side of the bed and she sleeps between me and that, I sleep in the middle so she is not near hubby. She feels more at ease that way and so do I, we have a king sized bed but I co-slept with my first born in a full size bed. If co-sleeping is not your thing you might try to put a heating pad on her mattress for a few minutes to warm it up, then remove it before you put her down, that worked for my second baby. I wish you all the luck I know how hard it is to not get any sleep and worry about your baby.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have already tried having her sleep with me in the bed several times for several hours. I'll even bundle her up, sing to her, and hold her in my arms, but she would be too busy trying to play. I have to have her crib in the same room since I live with family. I would LOVE if she only woke up 1-3 times a night. She's pretty much waking up every half an hour or less, like a newborn would. Believe me when I say, I have tried every method out there. Thanks for the help, but it's something I've already tried and it well does not work.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 1:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You say she plays? She might have day and night reversed. How is day activity? During the day maintain normal activity. Get her involved. Carry her in a sling and/or keep her in an infant chair nearby and let her sleep in whatever room you are in for naps --floor, infant chair, sling etc with regular light and noise. No need to be mouse quiet.

At evening/night, stick to muted mellow activity, low lights or dark, maintain a level of wind-down quiet. .

any more info you can share about her would help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Honest? This is one of those things they do outgrow and you just ride through....the more you try to make her sleep, the more she'll stay awake. Keep things dark at night...no lights when she wakes. Keep things bright and noisy in the daytime to encourage her to stay awake. And sleep when she sleeps. Your survival technique is to dump anything not needed for survival so you can get down time. This WILL pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I actually do keep her very active during the day. I play with her constantly and so do my family. I make sure she has a lot of things around her to keep her mind thinking and going. We have a bouncer for her to stand up in and to play by herself too. At night, usually there's only the kitchen light on and the t.v. going low before she heads to bed. When I put her to bed, I have soft music going and an almost dark room. I have a baby monitor that gives off a soft glow.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 3:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• A few more questions: What time do you put her to bed? Is she showing signs of tiredness when you do, or do you just put her down because its a designated bedtime? When she gets up does she play contentedly or does she cry for something? If you breastfeed/give bottle at night does she eat? Is she drooling a lot...shoving fists in her mouth because of teething? How are her day naps?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010