Online dating profile help

I've been a single mom for the past 5 years, and I'm ready to make a serious effort towards finding someone I can connect with and have a real relationship again.

The trouble is I can't for the life of me figure out what to write that sounds interesting and not cliched. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Dating sites don't normally work. It's very impersonal and you're left looking through pictures instead of genuinely wanting to get to know someone. The stories you see online are actually pretty rare in the online dating world. My suggestion is going out. Not bar hopping, but like to a coffee shop or to your local square and chatting it up with someone. It might feel uncomfortable, but you'll feel better about it.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 3:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i've been married to my match.com for 5 years+.
    when filling out a profile, just be yourself. what would you like someone to know about you? what makes you stand out from the rest? you don't need to tell all your dirty little secrets, and you don't need show immediately that you want to marry. that turns people off real quick. remember, its a 'dating' site..not a marriage site. dating is great for pilfering through debris and junk..to get to the good stuff! dating is imperative to figuring out who and what you want out of a partner you want to spend time with. go in with an open mind, trust your gut/instinct, and have fun! if you 'meet' someone you want to physically meet, do it in a public setting, with an easy way out-that way, neither of you are obligated. be real about it, though: you really don't want to drive too far to meet a man. try to keep your search 'local-ish'. if it feels wrong, don't do it. good luck!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I met my husband on plentyoffish.com the only advice I have is to be honest and put REAL pictures of yourself, not ones when you were 10lbs thinner and had your makeup and hair done for your sisters wedding..LOL Just be real, be open and honest about what you want.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 4:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My SO and I met on okcupid.com. As for what to write, just be honest. Write it as though you were talking to someone new and you two were exchanging information about yourselves. Put in the stuff that is most important for them to know, also. Meaning make sure you mention that you have kids, so that they know about it in case it's a dealbreaker for them - you won't waste your time then with someone that it won't work out with. Don't mention marriage or commitment except in passing ("My eventual goal is a long term relationship, but right now I'm just looking to meet a nice guy to go to Friday night's concert with"). Other than that, just make your pictures an honest reflection of what you look like right now, use caution, and don't rush into anything when you do find a profile you like, or one finds you. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You are special. Only you can describe yourself or talk with a family member or friend who knows you well. I found my soul mate online. I believe others can too

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2010