How do I get my son to call me mommy

He 17 months old and can say mommy just fine, but he tends to call me Amy. It wouldn't bother me so much if he called me both mommy and Amy, but he calls anyone that he wants something from mommy. He calls my husband mommy all the time, he has said it to my sister and my mom as well. Only my husband is dada though.
Anyone else going though this? Any advice?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 3:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a phase. My 20 month old calls her daddy Kody instead of Daddy and went thru a phase of calling me Baby since that is what DH calls me.All of my kids have done it at some point in toddlerhood. Just gently correct her and move on. Be POSITIVE not to give it more attention. Make sure that others are correcting her, as well. For instance if she calls grandma mommy when asking for juice, Grandma needs to say, I'm grandma and get her juice. Then say it again when she actually gives her the juice. After a while she'll outgrow this, you just have to be sure you and no one else accidently encourages it or it will last longer. Also make sure to refer to others with their title OFTEN, ie, Aunt Josie is going to play with you, Do you like playing with Aunt Josie? Give Aunt Josie luvs, we're going byebye, and so on.
    Good luck, this too shall pass. (hugs)
    eyedoleyes

Answer by eyedoleyes at 8:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• What we do with our DD is ignore her until she calls us by the right name, she calls me dada and Dh mama sometimes we just ignore her and she will fix it, and also just say no i am mama. That works with us.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It is a phase, and it will pass. You can say: I am not your Amy, I am your Mommy!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Try to make sure other people stop calling you by your name infront of him, if possible.. Have them call you Mommy any time they want to talk to you infront of your son. thats what we do here, cuz my daughter will call me by my name sometimes if she hears someone else say my name and i answer
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2010